NEC 344.42(a)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rojay

I probably should’ve phrased the question differently? Specifically, I’m questioning whether or not there is an acceptable listed threadless COUPLING that can be used on a threaded end. I was always under the impression that the threaded ends needed to be cut off.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Do they make SS connectors for rigid conduit? I know there are compressions. As for your original question I'm guessing you are asking because you have lengths that have bends in them that need to be assembled? This is where the skill of the mechanic comes into play.

Understandably though there are times when it's impossible to spin the pipe and that's what those erickson couplings are for.

-Hal

rojay

My question was based on the tail end of the code section that says regarding threadless fittings that only listed fittings could be used on a threaded end. I was wondering if there was any listed threadless fitting that could be used on a threaded end. I think the three piece Erickson that Dennis mentioned is probably the only thing that would fit the bill.

Its funny because I haven’t really done any work in classified areas where the HW needed to threaded so I’ve always used NT compression or set screw fittings where needed. The only time I’ve ever used an Erickson was as a connector? I was doing a panel swap and removed a compression fitting that was used on threaded end of HW and replaced it with an Erickson.

Who knew it

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm pretty sure that set-screw threadless fittings are okay on threads; compressions may be, too, but the threads may affect water resistance.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I recall this section was added several cycles ago as not all rmc compression connectors are listrd to use on male threads.
the easiest way to tell is to check the product box at a supply house

Status
Not open for further replies.