NEC 376.22, Wireway inside a Meter Socket Load Center

FelixZn

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Regarding NEC 376.22 Number of Conductors and Ampacity, which states:

"(A) Cross-Sectional Areas of Wireway.
The sum of the cross-sectional areas of all contained conductors and cables at any cross section of a wireway shall not exceed 20 percent of the interior cross-sectional area of the wireway."

Would this apply to the wireway that's inside an enclosure of a meter socket load center (also called meter combination center)?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Regarding NEC 376.22 Number of Conductors and Ampacity, which states:

"(A) Cross-Sectional Areas of Wireway.
The sum of the cross-sectional areas of all contained conductors and cables at any cross section of a wireway shall not exceed 20 percent of the interior cross-sectional area of the wireway."

Would this apply to the wireway that's inside an enclosure of a meter socket load center (also called meter combination center)?

I believe it would but it would be on the load side of the meter-- Panel area.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe it would but it would be on the load side of the meter-- Panel area.
Sorry I meant to say panel cross section area is relevant

(A) Splices, Taps, and Feed-Through Conductors.

The wiring space of enclosures for switches or overcurrent devices shall be permitted for conductors feeding through, spliced, or tapping off to other enclosures, switches, or overcurrent devices where all of the following conditions are met:
  • (1)
    The total of all conductors installed at any cross section of the wiring space does not exceed 40 percent of the cross-sectional area of that space.
  • (2)
    The total area of all conductors, splices, and taps installed at any cross section of the wiring space does not exceed 75 percent of the cross-sectional area of that space.
  • (3)
    The bending space for conductors 4 AWG and larger complies with 314.28(A)(2).
  • (4)
    A warning label complying with 110.21(B) is applied to the enclosure that identifies the closest disconnecting means for any feed-through conductors.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The meter/panel assemblies are listed under UL 67, the same as panel boards.
I apply the gutter area fill based on 312.8(A)(1). The "gutter space" is the space between the outside edge of the breakers and the panel wall, and the depth of the panel. It is virtually impossible to overfill the gutter space.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I apply the gutter area fill based on 312.8(A)(1). The "gutter space" is the space between the outside edge of the breakers and the panel wall, and the depth of the panel. It is virtually impossible to overfill the gutter space.
I agree and therefore nothing in Article 376 would apply.

FelixZn

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Correct, these are listed under UL 67, I attached a picture of an example of the wire gutter/wireway I'm talking about.
What you mention makes sense to me, and also the 40% rule aligns better to what I'm looking in some products.
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• mslc example.png
    mslc example.png
    1 MB · Views: 5