NEC 400.12 & 400.10

Shujinko

I have a project where built-in casework desks are being proposed/installed. These will function as computer stations. The casework walls will be plywood with a nice panel exterior finish. It is being proposed to have the receptacles installed behind the casework walls with a slot in the wall to fish the cord/plug from the computer on the desk top to the receptacle behind the wall. Each receptacle location will have an access panel at the wall. This is in order to make any changes to the plug/cords and service the receptacles. Is this proposed installation in violation of NEC 400.12 (2) & (5)? Or does this fall under the "uses permitted" under NEC 400.10 (6) & (8)?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If I'm understanding your set up it's a common installation in high end office spaces. I see nothing in your description that would violate 400.12(2).

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The code does not care where you plug in computers. As long as the cord does not go thru a wall or a door or a window.

A rectangular opening in the wall to run the cord seems acceptable.

Shujinko

The code does not care where you plug in computers. As long as the cord does not go thru a wall or a door or a window.

A rectangular opening in the wall to run the cord seems acceptable.
Each receptacle location would hidden by the access panel but if you needed to get to the receptacles to plug computers ot additional appliances to the recepacles you would open the access panel to gain access.