NEC 410.13

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjdh

NEC 300.3 requires single conductors listed in Table 310.13 to be installed in a recognized wiring method of Chapter 3. Many luminaires have a canopy larger than the outlet box size. In these installations the single conductors are exposed to the wall or ceiling finish.

NEC 410.13 requires any combustible wall or ceiling finish exposed between the edge of the luminaire canopy and outlet box to be covered with a noncombustible material

Please reply as to what materials you are using for this application. If the material is conductive is it require to be grounded?

physis

Re: NEC 410.13

The last time I tried to burn 4 yards of sheet rock to save the money they want at the dumps I still had to take it to the dumps. :p

Edit: Actually you may have a good point here. I haven't found an allowance yet.

[ November 15, 2004, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

dana1028

Most walls/ceilings are covered with sheetrock (gypsum board) - the NEC considers this material non-combustible (see 314.20).

I've never had to deal with a situation where the ceiling/wall material was considered combustible (by the NEC) so do not have an answer for you.

hurk27

Haven't seen much on a ceiling but I have seen paneling on walls and what about outside lights on those plastic PVC J-blocks, Cedar? I'm sure they would burn? I have never seen anything on the market to address this without fabricating something out of sheet metal.

macmikeman

We often run into "canek" cielings, which is compressed sugar cane fiber panels, popular in older times on older homes. I consider it to be combustable, but I have heard that it was sold as " fire resistant", whatever that means.
I either stick in a sheet metal cutout between the fixture and the ceiling, or I also have used those medallion plastic spacer things they sell at the big orange. I know that that plastic is not considered non combustable, but the box that the light is hung from is also made of plastic, so moot point.

Status
Not open for further replies.