NEC 517 Patient Care Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffjacobs

I am wondering if a Rehabilitation Gym area (20' x 40') would be classified as a patient care area according to NEC 517. Does anyone here have any interpretations they'd like to share???

glene77is

Many years ago, I designed and wired an Ambulatory Emergency Area.
For that the criteria was straight forward, as to 517.
The 'Patient' was 'examined' and 'cared for' and was 'incapable' of protecting himself from haazards (at some point of the care), or had devices attached to his body, or might be receiving medication.

A dental exam room would qualify, but I don't see a gym as qualifying.
Medical treatment and rehabilitation exercise seem to be different things.

So, pass this by your local code enforcement.

Last edited:
I am wondering if a Rehabilitation Gym area (20' x 40') would be classified as a patient care area according to NEC 517. Does anyone here have any interpretations they'd like to share???

I would have to say YES!! A rehab gym is a 'patient care area' according to 517 NEC 2008.
Remember this is an area where 'patients are intended to be examined or treated'. Even in a 'rehab gym' I have seen physical therapist 'examining' the patient when they are trying to walk, or lift or exercises. And some times they use some 'electrical' equipment or motors etc. in this activity/therapy.

If all else fails you ask the 'governing authority' of the hospital what they consider a 'patient care area'.

luckyshadow

Just as a quick reply I will state that this is a definite "gray" area. Section 517 does not directly address this.

According to 517, The definition of Health Care Facilities does not mention "physical". It does clearly cover Medical,Dental, Psychiatric,Nursing,Obstetrical,and Surgical Care.

As a quick call I would say that if it is strictly physical rehab, with no medical treatment, it would not be a covered area under 517. Keep in mind I said NO Medical Treatment. This means no blood pressure readings, temperature taking, medicines being administered, injuries being looked at and treated and so on.

The key is exactly what is being done in the room?

I reserve the right to recant this after some more investigation into NFPA 101.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I think you would be better off looking into NFPA 99. :wink:

You won't find anything definite there either.

This is truly an AHJ call, I have had to treat them as Patient Care Areas in the past and even had to install a "Code Blue" system in one because of part of the area being called Cardiac Rehab.

Roger

glene77is

This is truly an AHJ call,
I have had to treat them as Patient Care Areas in the past ...
Roger

Good call.
Always be willing to check with the AHJ.

I was over a university hospital for several years.
The ICU (Intensive Care Unit) and the CCU ( Critical Care Unit)
were definitely "patient care" areas. There was no rehab gym there.
The above areas were on Isolation Transformer systems.

When I transferred to the Rehabilitation Engineering program,
most of the areas could have been,
Should have been considered Patent Care.
But that never happened.
Except for the research area, including my lab room,
we never attached any medical equipment to a patient.

In retrospect, and it has been a long time ago,
I should have installed a GFCI system.
I recall developing and proto-typing one in the electronics lab,
but I wonder if there was one commercially available in 1980?

Just as a quick reply I will state that this is a definite "gray" area. Section 517 does not directly address this.

According to 517, The definition of Health Care Facilities does not mention "physical". It does clearly cover Medical,Dental, Psychiatric,Nursing,Obstetrical,and Surgical Care.

As a quick call I would say that if it is strictly physical rehab, with no medical treatment, it would not be a covered area under 517. Keep in mind I said NO Medical Treatment. This means no blood pressure readings, temperature taking, medicines being administered, injuries being looked at and treated and so on.

The key is exactly what is being done in the room?

Medical does include the PHYSICAL. I see this as black and white, there is no gray area here. Any time you are in a 'rehab' gym that is a form of 'medical' treatment, because you are 'rehabilitating' yourself, and in some cases you are being watched and examined by a therapist/doctor. I suggest everyone look up the word 'medical treatment' or 'examination'. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.