Nec 605

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a product design consultant that recently developed some desktop task lights for one of our clients. The light's are Humanscale's Work Light II and Task Light II. They are receiving questions from some customers about whether the lights fall under the scope of NEC 605, and if so, are they compliant so that they can be installed in offices created with wired partitions. Humanscale would like us to write a letter either stating that they are compliant, or do not fall under the scope of the code. Before I do that however, I wanted to ask the experts.

So, here are the specs of the lights that pertain to the code as I see it:
- First of all, from reading the code, what we specifically have to worry about is 605.5 A,B, and C - correct?
- (A) Support - the lights are provided with mounts or a base that are suitable for the desired application. They all provide more than adequate support and were passed by UL,cUL, and CE standards. So I believe we pass this one.
-(B) Connection - 18 AWG polarized NISPT-2 cord, 6 ft long, NEMA 1-15 plug (NOT grounded). The cord is not grounded, but I would still consider it "suitable for the condition of use" since it is UL approved. Is that incorrect? Most task lights are NOT grounded.
-(C) Receptacle Outlet - The lights do not have any convenience outlets.

So, are the lights compliant to the code? Any help with this matter is much appreciated. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.