Nec 680.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

erickench

The new change in the 2008 NEC includes a statement in the above section that I find puzzling:

Each means(disconnecting) shall be readily accessible and within sight of it's equipment and shall be located at least 5 ft. horizontally from the inside walls of the pool, spa, or hot tub unless separated from the open water by a permanently installed barrier that provides a 5 ft. reach path or greater.

How does a barrier provide a 5 ft. reach path? Let's assume that the disconnect is 3 ft. from the water. What is the barrier going to do? I mean I could understand it providing a blocking obstruction but what is this 5 ft. reach path,:confused:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think the last sentence gives a clue: This horizontal distance is to be measured from the water's edge along the shortest path required to reach the disconnect.
The disconnect might be 3 ft away from the water "as the crow flys". but if you had to walk around a barrier to reach it (such as a parapet wall) it would be 5 ft or greater.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I think the last sentence gives a clue: This horizontal distance is to be measured from the water's edge along the shortest path required to reach the disconnect.
The disconnect might be 3 ft away from the water "as the crow flys". but if you had to walk around a barrier to reach it (such as a parapet wall) it would be 5 ft or greater.

I would agree with that, and also what Bob said.

If you still have your foot in the water and can reach a disconnect 5' away, you're either really tall or really want to reach that disconnect and still have your foot in the water.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.