NEC 680.14

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

Does new code article NEC 680.14 apply to panel boards service pool equipment rooms? I see it as applying to wiring methods only.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe it refers to any wiring in that room. Have you ever seen a panelboard in one of those areas after many years?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Btw, the reason I say it applies to everything is that Chapter 3 in the NEC is called Wiring Methods and Materials. Seems like the material is part of the wiring method.

wyboy

I see your point. But panels are chapter 4. I am wondering if they make a panelboard rated for pool equipment rooms.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yes, it is chapter 4 but IMO, it is also in Chapter 3 in Article 314. Check with an authority having jurisdiction but I would never install a panel in that type of environment.

Anon1

I see your point. But panels are chapter 4. I am wondering if they make a panelboard rated for pool equipment rooms.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like this code creates the need for a brand new rating. It doesn't designate the areas listed in 680.14(A) as any kind of classified hazardous location so it sounds like equipment, like panel boards, will now have to have a rating designation something along the lines of "rated for pool equipment rooms and areas" or something similar.

However, as a 20 year electrician specializing in pool installations, I can say confidently that all the major pool automation manufacturers are aware of this upcoming code addition and will make sure their panels are properly rated.

Anon1

Yes, it is chapter 4 but IMO, it is also in Chapter 3 in Article 314. Check with an authority having jurisdiction but I would never install a panel in that type of environment.

I agree with you in that I've seen how enclosed pool equipment rooms can be incredibly corrosive, but usually the other areas mentioned in the new 680.14(A) get enough air flow that they are not especially corrosive. Usually, but not always. However, there is unfortunately almost no practical way to wire up most pool equipment setups without a nearby panel board while still observing all the relevant codes.

RTChafey

New User
Occupation
Pool Designer and Builder
I believe Pentair has a written interpretation on this confirming it only applies to the conduit (as clearly stated in the section) I will upload that here once I have in my hands

Status
Not open for further replies.