NEC 690.12 - RSID's for Solar Carport with Inverter AC Output Conductors Run Over a Building to Electrical Room - What Solution will Satisfy 690.12?

PV Designer

Occupation
PV Designer
Solar carports are generally considered ground mounts, and not subject to the rapid shutdown requirements of NEC 690.12.

However, consider a carport with inverters mounted on its columns, the inverters are combined in a panel at the carport. The combined AC output conductors are then run underground to a nearby building, run up the exterior wall, over the rooftop, and down the opposite wall, to interconnect with the facility's main distribution panel in the the electrical room on the opposite side of the building from where the carport is located.

The rapid shutdown requirements of 690.12 clearly apply to the inverter AC output conductors on the building. However, the question is whether the AHJ will accept the AC disconnect as a sufficient RSID, since only the AC conductors are in question here. My reading of 2020 NEC 690.12(C) and (D) suggests that the AC disconnect in the interior electrical room where the utility meter and disconnect are located is a sufficiently code compliant, safe and effective RSID for the conductors in question, satisfying both the intention and the letter of the code.

My concern is that the AHJ may require RSID's on the DC side of the system, because these are specifically "listed" as RSID's.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you have any experience with similar situations? Obviously, I will not quote you in any legal disputes, but I am curious to know if my thinking is off, or on target. What do you think?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
A few comments, just based on the text of 2020 NEC 690.12, no opinion or knowledge of how AHJs will interpret it:

1) It seems to me that a "solar carport" is arguably a building and requires RSD. A ground mount array is arguably not a building (under the expansive NEC definition thereof), as it's all equipment. But once you elevate the array you are adding structural members that service a different purpose beyond the electrical installation, namely to support the use as a carport. I could go either way on this point, maybe elevating the array only involves lengthening and enlarging structural members.

2) Why not move the inverter(s) to be just outside the array boundary? Then there are no 690.12(A)(2) conductors, and the only controlled conductors are the PV system DC circuits.

3) Even when do you have the inverters within the array boundary, so that the "inverter output circuits" are controlled conductors, doesn't that circuit end at the PV system disconnect? In which case you could just locate the PV system disconnect away from the non-carport building, so that the conductors on that building are not inverter output circuits.

Cheers, Wayne

PV Designer

Occupation
PV Designer
H
A few comments, just based on the text of 2020 NEC 690.12, no opinion or knowledge of how AHJs will interpret it:

1) It seems to me that a "solar carport" is arguably a building and requires RSD. A ground mount array is arguably not a building (under the expansive NEC definition thereof), as it's all equipment. But once you elevate the array you are adding structural members that service a different purpose beyond the electrical installation, namely to support the use as a carport. I could go either way on this point, maybe elevating the array only involves lengthening and enlarging structural members.

2) Why not move the inverter(s) to be just outside the array boundary? Then there are no 690.12(A)(2) conductors, and the only controlled conductors are the PV system DC circuits.

3) Even when do you have the inverters within the array boundary, so that the "inverter output circuits" are controlled conductors, doesn't that circuit end at the PV system disconnect? In which case you could just locate the PV system disconnect away from the non-carport building, so that the conductors on that building are not inverter output circuits.

Cheers, Wayne
Hi, Wayne.

1) Thank you for your well-thought-out response. Experience shows that most AHJ's will consider carports as ground mounts, rather than structures, although that is a bit of a grey area, where an AHJ could reasonably argue as you have suggested.

2) Moving the inverters outside the array boundary to escape 690.12(A)(2) is a great idea. Now I need to evaluate the space availability and cost difference between a separate fenced off inverter area versus adding RSID's to the system.

3) I like your thinking on isolating the "inverter output circuit", however, I believe these circuits may be interpreted to include all conductors back to the point of interconnection. However, if the circuits from the inverter combiner panel to the AC disconnect and POI may not be considered "inverter output circuits", depending on the AHJ.

I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you,
Isaac

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems

Cheers, Wayne
690.12 does not apply. A carport structure without enclosing walls is not a building and does not invoke rapid shutdown requirements. I went to a NABCEP sanctioned educational seminar yesterday where this was covered; the discussion leader pulled up a section of the 2023 NEC that showed this unambiguously. I do not remember where it is, but I will look for it.

Moreover, I have designed several of these things without RSID and I have never been challenged by an AHJ on this point.

What about a solar shade over the top floor of a parking garage? Hmmmm... That could go either way; best have a meeting with your AHJ about that one. :D

Last edited:

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
A carport structure without enclosing walls is not a building
False under the NEC, so let's stop right there. The NEC has a weird definition of "building" that includes any structure. Enclosing walls or not has nothing to do with it.

Cheers, Wayne

PV Designer

Occupation
PV Designer
A carport structure without enclosing walls is not a building and does not invoke rapid shutdown requirements. I went to a NABCEP sanctioned educational seminar yesterday where this was covered; the discussion leader pulled up a section of the 2023 NEC that showed this unambiguously. I do not remember where it is, but I will look for it.

Moreover, I have designed several of these things without RSID and I have never been challenged by an AHJ on this point.

A solar shade over the top floor of a parking garage? Hmmmm... Best have a meeting with your AHJ about that one. :D
Hey, thank you for your input here. When I read 2023 NEC 690.12 of the 2023 NEC, it seems the rapid shutdown requirements on carports depends on one's interpretations of the terms "Building", "Structure" and "Equipment" in Article 100 of the NEC. I'd love to discover a definitive code section!

PV Designer

Occupation
PV Designer
False under the NEC, so let's stop right there. The NEC has a weird definition of "building" that includes any structure. Enclosing walls or not has nothing to do with it.

Cheers, Wayne
Agreed. It depends on how one interprets the NEC definitions of Building, Structure, and Equipment in the Article 100.

PV Designer

Occupation
PV Designer
Hey, thank you for your input here. When I read 2023 NEC 690.12 of the 2023 NEC, it seems the rapid shutdown requirements on carports depends on one's interpretations of the terms "Building", "Structure" and "Equipment" in Article 100 of the NEC. I'd love to discover a definitive code section!
The challenge here is that the inverter AC output conductors are run up and over a building as the most cost effective way to get to the electrical room. So these particular conductors seem to be subject to rapid shutdown requirements, which makes sense. But I'm thinking a simple AC disconnect would suffice.

ggunn

Occupation

Cheers, Wayne
Stop if you want but that is incorrect. As I said, I have experience with designing solar parking shades, and RSID has not once been an issue, even with difficult AHJs who are real sticklers for code compliance. Some common sense must come into play here; rapid shutdown is to protect firefighters who are on a rooftop chopping holes to ventilate a building. That would never be necessary on a shade structure that is open on the sides and with modules exposed from the bottom.

The language that supports this may be an exception; as I said, I will look for it.

Last edited:

PV Designer

Occupation
PV Designer
Stop if you want but that is incorrect. As I said, I have experience with designing solar parking shades, and RSID has not once been an issue, even with AHJs who are real sticklers for code compliance.
I appreciate your experience, and do believe that most AHJ's will be reasonable, and not consider a carport a building. However, 1) I stand by my previous statement that whether or not a carport is considered a building by any given AHJ depends on their interpretation of the definitions of the words Building, Structure and Equipment in NEC Article 100, and B) this is all irrelevant to the question I asked, which is about AC conductors of a carport running up, over and down a building to the electrical room, which have a greater possibility of being subject to rapid shutdown requirements.

ggunn

Occupation
The challenge here is that the inverter AC output conductors are run up and over a building as the most cost effective way to get to the electrical room. So these particular conductors seem to be subject to rapid shutdown requirements, which makes sense. But I'm thinking a simple AC disconnect would suffice.
They aren't but if they were, a disco would do it.

ggunn

Occupation
Stop if you want but that is incorrect. As I said, I have experience with designing solar parking shades, and RSID has not once been an issue, even with difficult AHJs who are real sticklers for code compliance. Some common sense must come into play here; rapid shutdown is to protect firefighters who are on a rooftop chopping holes to ventilate a building. That would never be necessary on a shade structure that is open on the sides and with modules exposed from the bottom.

The language that supports this may be an exception; as I said, I will look for it.
Got it. It's 690.12 Exception No. 2 in the 2023 NEC.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Got it. It's 690.12 Exception No. 2 in the 2023 NEC.
Great. The presence of the exception in the 2023 NEC recognizes that a carport is a building, which is why the exception is necessary.

Unfortunately for the OP, CA has not adopted the 2023 NEC yet (I think it will be adopted on January 1, 2026). Although appealing to the allowances of the 2023 NEC might work with the AHJ, could be worth a try.

Cheers, Wayne