NEC 700 vs 701

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoyt2020

Occupation
Electrical Design
Good afternoon,

I attempting to designate mechanical ventilation equipment loads (Exhaust Fans / Make up Air units), required for a LP gas fill building / room, to the correct back up power system defined by the NEC- (Emergency NEC 700, Legally Required 701,or Optional 702). We will be installing an exterior diesel generator with ATS equipment (1 or 2 ATS). The building occupancy is a H-2, its a LP container fill building / room(s) (Class 1 Div 1 and Class 1 Div 2 areas).

This falls under IBC 414 Hazardous materials, and subsequently it appears that IBC 414.5.2 REQUIRES the mechanical ventilation equipment for these spaces to have "Emergency System" OR "Standby Power". It appears they IBC gives you the option per 414.5.2.

"Standby Power"- as defined by the IBC leads me to believe the required ventilation equipment be on a NEC 701 system. Furthermore, if I read IBC 2702.1.4 (Electrical Chapter) it states Emergency System needs to provide secondary power within 10 seconds and Standby Power within 60 seconds.

So I have 2 questions:

Question #1:
Are the following 2 bullet points correct? (I believe so...and seems pretty strait forward)
  • IBC "Emergency System" is a NEC 700 system.
  • IBC "Standby Power" is a NEC 701 system.
Question #2:
Can the required egress illumination circuits be derived from the same ATS / Panel as the required mechanical ventilation equipment for the gas fill equipment circuits…. Basically can both loads be on NEC 700 system....Or are the loads required to be separated into NEC systems 700 and 701 respectfully?.

:unsure: The IBC seems to suggest I have the option and the NEC seems to suggest they need to be separated.

Thanks in advance!

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Hoyt2020: For question #1 I'd agree.
And Question#2 I'd say yes you can have one emergency generator serving Emergency / Legally required and optional loads but you need to have different ATS and loadcenters/panelboards 700.10 and 701.5 (2020 code refs)

Status
Not open for further replies.