NEC 810 TV Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeepCJ

New User
Occupation
Homeowner
My home has an existing ~40' TV antenna tower which I am trying to confirm if it is properly grounded. Currently there is a grounding rod installed at the antenna, clamped to the tower via 4 AWG. The antenna lead has a grounding block at the top of the tower and the lead proceeds from there into the home.

Having reviewed NEC 810, I believe I need to add a grounding block for the antenna lead just prior to the lead entering the home. I plan to use a combination grounding block/surge protector, connecting the ground back to the grounding rod via 10AWG.

I see no evidence that the grounding rod is connected to the premises grounding electrode system. It is over 70' away and I doubt that a wire was buried to the other side of the house. I can confirm that nothing passes through the house.

In order to follow 810, this grounding rod would need to be connected to the premises grounding electrode system with min 6AWG, which if I can't confirm one exists under ground, would have to run 70' across the basement to the service entrance where I could bond to the ground coming in from the ground rods.

Can I confirm this with a simple ohm reading between the antenna grounding rod and a near by outlet ground?

Alternatively, there is an Air Conditioner service disconnect next to the antenna. This is fed with 10AWG NM. Theoretically if this antenna system had no ground rod, I believe this would suffice as an acceptable ground for an antenna per 810, though I believe foregoing the adjacent grounding rod to be silly as lighting would prefer the path of least resistance and I believe the grounding rod was installed for that reason.

Looking for any practical advice on how to make sure this is done properly. Unfortunately I had nothing to do with the original installation so I can't be certain how it was done. Lived in the house for 10 years and had no issues with any equipment failures, but if I'm going to add the grounding block prior to the service entrance, I'd like to touch it once and be confident it's done right.

thanks,
-Jeff

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain. Reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking "Report" at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.