Nec Article 110.26 (E)(1)(c)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Manyaman

Occupation
Electrical engineer
Hi can anyone help. I'm confused about the "dedicated" term for electrical space, this it means a room, a dedicated room for electrical space. Btw my concern was this. A sprinkler head is located near the electrical busduct from generator to electrical room. note: the busduct runs through the ceiling of basement hallway and where the sprinkler head is located.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
No it does not mean a room. The dedicated space that is required for an electrical installation is found in 110.26(E). Note this is not to be confused with the work space requirements in 110.26(A).

Mr Manyaman

Occupation
Electrical engineer
Hi can anyone help. I'm confused about the "dedicated" term for electrical space, this it means a room, a dedicated room for electrical space. Btw my concern was this. A sprinkler head is located near the electrical busduct from generator to electrical room. note: the busduct runs through the ceiling of basement hallway and where the sprinkler head is located.
No it does not mean a room. The dedicated space that is required for an electrical installation is found in 110.26(E). Note this is not to be confused with the work space requirements in 110.26(A).
Sir how about the busduct at ceiling of hallway at basement with other conduit raysway, fire pro branch pipe, domestic water pipe and ac insulated pipe . Thats not a dedicated space right?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The dedicated space extends up to the structural ceiling or 6 ft above the gear. No pipes etc in that space, can have pipes above the 6 ft but they need a drip pan gor leaks. Pipes etc can be out in front.
The language in 110.16 is very clear, suggest you sketch it out.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So that means sir there is no violation in the installation base on the picture above and do not apply in the code for NEC art. 110.26(E)(1)(c)?
For the busduct, no. Here's the relevant code reference, bus duct is not on the list.
110.26(E) Dedicated Equipment Space. All switchboards, switchgear, panelboards, and motor control centers shall be located in
dedicated spaces and protected from damage.

Carultch

So that means sir there is no violation in the installation base on the picture above and do not apply in the code for NEC art. 110.26(E)(1)(c)?

"Dedicated space" is "dedicated" to the electrical installation. I.e. anything that would be governed by the NEC, and installed by an electrician. It is OK for raceways and other electrical equipment to be in the dedicated space, even if unrelated in application to the equipment requiring this space. It is perfectly OK to stack panelboards (if they fit within height constraints), or route unrelated raceways & wiring structures across the dedicated space of panelboards.

The intent of this rule is to keep foreign systems out of this space. Foreign systems such as plumbing, HVAC, and fire protection. These systems have to be arranged to not be directly above or below electrical equipment requiring dedicated space.

Mr Manyaman

Occupation
Electrical engineer
So that means in the photo i send theres no violation in NEC there cause that particular area was ceiling at lobby and not a dedicated space for electrical even though a fire protection pipe or a sprinkler head, domestic water pipe is above the electrical raceways is that right? Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So that means in the photo i send theres no violation in NEC there cause that particular area was ceiling at lobby and not a dedicated space for electrical even though a fire protection pipe or a sprinkler head, domestic water pipe is above the electrical raceways is that right? Thanks
Yes that's correct. As mentioned the dedicated space requirements only apply to the equipment on the list in post #8.

Carultch

In the photo you sent, the red pipe and the white drain pipe would count as "foreign systems", and not be allowed in dedicated space. It's unclear whether the gray pipes are electrical or plumbing. That shade of gray PVC usually means electrical, but the arrow label makes it look like is plumbing.

The EMT raceways, cable trays, and light fixtures, would be the only thing in that photo that would be OK in dedicated space.

Dedicated space extends up to 6'-6" above the equipment, or to the structural ceiling. I.e. the ceiling that supports the next story's floor, or the decking of the roof. A suspended ceiling is not a structural ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.