NEC Article 517.18 (A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemis

NEC Article 517.18(A) states that each patient bed location shall be fed from two branch circuits. One emergency and one normal or two emergency if fed from seperate transfer switches. It does not say "dedicated circuit". Can these two branch circuits feed multiple bed locations?

Artemis

NEC Article 517.18 (A) refers to general care areas so my specific question is for a general care area. Since the code does not say "dedicated" can I assume multiple beds can be fed from these two circuits?

kwired

Electron manager
NEC Article 517.18 (A) refers to general care areas so my specific question is for a general care area. Since the code does not say "dedicated" can I assume multiple beds can be fed from these two circuits?

That is how I read it.

In fact I don't even see anything requiring it to supply patient rooms only.

Artemis

Thanks, that's the way I read it too. Just wanted to check with you all, anyone else have experience with this? I want to make sure my understanding is correct....Thanks

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You are correct, there is no requirement for these circuits to be dedicated to one patient bed location but keep in mind that if the whole circuit must comply with 517.13.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.