NEC Code question for a I liine Buss Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

istechjr

I work at a plant that has a I line 600 volt 600 Amp Buss Bar. My question is, Is there a code that says how far away from the Buss Bar you can have a Rack System or Air Lines or a Nonflammable gas line?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: NEC Code question for a I liine Buss Bar

not that I ever heard of.

you do need to follow the rules for general accessability to electrical equipment.

sceepe

there a code that says how far away from the Buss Bar you can have a Rack System or Air Lines or a Nonflammable gas line?
110.26. would apply if the Buss bar is likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized. If its just a Buss bar running through a gutter, it probably doesn't meet any of those criteria.

Are you wired about emag interference for the rack system or worried about worker safety? Is the Buss bar sufficiently enclosed to prevent accidental contact?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

This is plug-in busway subject to Art 368. It is probably only accessible from some type of ladder or lift. Each plug-in unit would require the correct working space, 110.26.

Where there are no plugs installed the busway should be treated as any other raceway.

Status
Not open for further replies.