NEC Code: Taping of Wires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sisscogc

I have a situation where I need to change wire colors on a 4 cond 8 gauge SO cord, and a 4 cond 12 gauge SO cord. If I wanted to Tape these wires different colors would I be compliant to NEC Code for these wire sizes?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
sisscogc said:
I have a situation where I need to change wire colors on a 4 cond 8 gauge SO cord, and a 4 cond 12 gauge SO cord. If I wanted to Tape these wires different colors would I be compliant to NEC Code for these wire sizes?

Are you asking if you can take a standard 4 conductor cord:

Black
Red
White
Green

and re-identify the white to become a blue conductor for a three phase cord?

sisscogc

I am taking a 4 conductor SO cord

Green
Red
Black
White

and want to tape them to

Green wire - tape white
Red Wire - tape black
Black wire - tape red
White wire - tape green

I have harnesses pre-made up at certain lengths, to make my correct connections for correct phasing I need to tape the wires like above. I am being told that NYC electrical code will not allow you to tape the wires of these sizes. (8 gauge and 12 gauge). Does NEC allow it?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm lost, why do you need to change the colors? Is it so that the conductors go straight into the cord cap? Look at the other end of the cord. The conductors will be opposite.

iwire

Staff member
sisscogc said:
I am taking a 4 conductor SO cord

Green
Red
Black
White

and want to tape them to

Green wire - tape white
Red Wire - tape black
Black wire - tape red
White wire - tape green

Like Trevor I have no idea why you want to change them like this.

Leave the green as green (You must if it is an EGC)

Leave the white as white (You must if it the grounded conductor)

It's almost like your striving to make it confusing?

iwire

Staff member
infinity said:
Look at the other end of the cord. The conductors will be opposite.

icon6.gif

I don't know how many times I have blown peoples mind with that little tidbit. :)

sisscogc

I am installing a monorail system with 4 conductor bar. The system goes through switches in order for the hoists to go into different rooms. The manufacturer of the switches have 4 conductor SO harnesses that start by jumping power from the incomming monorail, run through the switch to power up the switch bar, and also jump it to the outgoing monorail. These harnesses are custom cut to fit to exactly reach each bar.

All the switch are wired the same.

Ground = Green
L1 = Red
L2 = Black
L3 = White

The problem is that we enter some switches the opposite way, which since all the switches are wired the same, causes a phasing problem.

So when I enter the switch the opposite way it is wired

Ground = White
L1 = Black
L2 = Red
L3=Green

In order to phase the system, I then would need to take the green wire and move it to where the white wire is. The harness does not allow me to do this due to the length.

This is why I need to tape the wires.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
iwire said:
icon6.gif

I don't know how many times I have blown peoples mind with that little tidbit. :)

I learned that little tidbit decades ago when I worked for a landscaper. My boss gave me a huge spool of 10/3 SJ cord and asked me to make up some specialty extension cords. I made the first one with no problem but on the second one I had to criss-cross the wires into the cord cap. When I looked at the two cord ends I noticed that they were different and when you use the "right" end no crossing is needed. Now when I point that out to someone they can't believe how obvious it is.:D

tony_psuee

I don't know

I don't know

sisscogc,

I may be over simplifying but, shouldn?t the green ground not require remarking? Or are you carrying the ground wire through the system isolated from the ground at each termination point?

Tony

benaround

sisscogc,

What you are suggesting sounds like a bad idea. First, Green must stay Green

Second, If one end is black and is ( A phase ) why can't the other end stay

black and stay A phase?

Do these cords come pre-wired from the manafacturer, or do you connect

the "switches" to them. Are these just power tracks for hoists. It shouldn't

be difficult to do it right, I need more info, sorry.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Every 4-conductor cord I can recall has the white and green diametrically opposed, and the black and red likewise, so it seems the worst that might happen is that the black and red might be swapped. This would leave the white and green as not needing recoloring.

Status
Not open for further replies.