NEC Codebook or Handbook???

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
In NC we don't get to take anything in; the code book, pencil, scratch paper, and calculator are furnished and all must be left after the exam.

I have found in my experience that the code book is much easier to use in that it doesn't have the additional baggage to slow you down when looking up an article section.

Roger

mdshunk

I have taken 7 tests so far. In each one, they only permitted the code book, and not the handbook. Sometimes you are permitted to take in handwritten notes in addition.

starbright28

To add more on what Jeff said:
When taking the MN test - they give you the code book, pencil, calculator, rules & regs book, and examples (for questions) book. Everything is turned in when handing in the test. You are not allowed to bring anything in, including your cell phone.

For studying - codebook is the way to go.

marissa2

In CT you can use either the code or handbook, also you are allowed to use the Ugly's, Code of Federal Regulations 29 CFR Part 1926, and NFPA 72.
Lou

Last edited:

kmc

In NJ they let us take our own code book, calculator, pencils, etc. But according to the new rules (at least in NJ) you will not be able to take your own NEC book into the exam, but can take in your own fire alarm book, and business law book into the exam. My advice would be to bring all of the allowed references into the exam and let them tell you cannot have those items. I also spotted individuals with electrical calculators which were definitely not allowed. I think it really depends on the test adminstrators monitoring that test for that specific day/location and the size of the group testing. When I took the test in FL they were much more strict and examined everones text book for extraneous notes and any cheat sheets. Good luck.

Radial12

mdshunk said:
I have taken 7 tests so far. In each one, they only permitted the code book, and not the handbook. Sometimes you are permitted to take in handwritten notes in addition.

Likewise I've taken 6 Code exams in the last 15 years (5 of which were NICET)

I couldn't agree more, for exams Handbooks are a liability not an asset. Way to much 'stuff' to search through with the additional commentaries, which I am fond of in the 'Real World', just make it that much harder to search for your answer, when every second counts. IMHO.

Oakey

A regular code book is what they give you for the test. Study with a good set of easy to read tabs and you'll be "good to go".

dezwitinc

You will only be allowed to use the Code book here in Florida, the Handbook is not allowed.
I assume that you have not made any applications yet so be sure and check to see which edition is being used for your test.
At the state exam last Tuesday, both 2002 and 2005 were acceptable.

finhead

I have found that proctors are of the generic breed. They do not know anything about any particular test, so they just follow instructions that are included with the test.
In Illinois, the rule has been the code book - any type - plus any published material.

e57

I would say I disagree with the rest here on this. Often, and you can check about your state, they provide you with a code book for the test. However for study purposes the Handbook has much more to offer in terms of understanding the legalistic lingo of the code, and often will point out other related codes in the commentary, as well as examples that offer clues to many questions you may find on your test. There are many inter-related codes, and often that is the type of thing one may find on the tests out there. You just have to remember that the commentary is not part of the code... Unless you are familiar with that type of legalistic lingo, the code may just bury you deep in a language you need to learn in order to recongize question refferances.

An example: Comentary in italics
230.2 Number of Services.
A building or other structure served shall be supplied by only one service unless permitted in 230.2(A) through (D). For the purpose of 230.40, Exception No. 2 only, underground sets of conductors, 1/0 AWG and larger, running to the same location and connected together at their supply end but not connected together at their load end shall be considered to be supplying one service.
The basic requirement of 230.2 is that a building or other structure can be supplied by only one service. However, under certain conditions, when a single service may not be adequate to supply a building or structure, 230.2 permits the use of additional services. Sections 230.2(A) through (D) describe those conditions under which more than one service is permitted. If more than one service is installed, 230.2(E) requires that a permanent plaque or directory be installed.

ibew441dc

nec codebook or handbook???

nec codebook or handbook???

In CA youcan bring nothing to the exam.

You are provided with a codebook, calculator, scratch paper, and a pencil.

ibew441dc

Status
Not open for further replies.