NEC copyrights

Status
Not open for further replies.

m sleem

Just thought!

I'm thinking in preparing android app for electricians so, does including part of code sections with translation into Arabic could be against copyrights?

Was it good!!!!!!!!!

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I would think so. Contact them and sell your app..
How ever things like this, mandatory rules, laws, regulations, etc., should be free.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe there is an app for the NEC but it is not in arabic. What are you trying to do? What is the app? The entire code?

I would write How are you in Arabic but I can't spell it...Keefeck inta....LOL My family is Lebanese- Grandmother born in Alexandria- not Virginia. LOL-- Grandfather #1 from Homs, Syria and other grandparents from Lebanon

m sleem

I believe there is an app for the NEC but it is not in arabic. What are you trying to do? What is the app? The entire code?

I would write How are you in Arabic but I can't spell it...Keefeck inta....LOL My family is Lebanese- Grandmother born in Alexandria- not Virginia. LOL-- Grandfather #1 from Homs, Syria and other grandparents from Lebanon
My goodness!

Your roots 100% arabic LOL, anyway iam from oldest country where you can dig and find historical status and nearby Alexandria LOL,

The app would be simple app introducing the basic rules of NEC to arabic speakers.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My goodness!

Your roots 100% arabic LOL, anyway iam from oldest country where you can dig and find historical status and nearby Alexandria LOL,

The app would be simple app introducing the basic rules of NEC to arabic speakers.

That's a good question. I would contact the nfpa and see what they have to say. If you are doing it for free they may be fine but if you are making money they may want their share.

(not a lawyer, etc etc, but I have spent a fair amount of time looking at copyright issues)

If you're writing most of the words and only quoting the NEC for commentary, that's considered "fair use" and isn't an infringement (like Mike's material). If you're translating the NEC verbatim, you'd own the copyright to the translation but NFPA still owns that of the English version. AFAICT, you don't need permission to translate, but would to distribute the translation (you can do it for your own use but can't give it to anyone).

There's probably a gray area where the recipient of a translation already owns a legal copy of the original.

Did I mention that I'm not a lawyer? :D

m sleem

(not a lawyer, etc etc, but I have spent a fair amount of time looking at copyright issues)

If you're writing most of the words and only quoting the NEC for commentary, that's considered "fair use" and isn't an infringement (like Mike's material). If you're translating the NEC verbatim, you'd own the copyright to the translation but NFPA still owns that of the English version. AFAICT, you don't need permission to translate, but would to distribute the translation (you can do it for your own use but can't give it to anyone).

There's probably a gray area where the recipient of a translation already owns a legal copy of the original.

Did I mention that I'm not a lawyer? :D
I think you should leave engineering and be a lawyer lol

Status
Not open for further replies.