NEC Feeder Definition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Feeders are essentially everything between the service equipment and the final overcurrent device. The NEC definition of feeder is “All circuit conductors between the service equipment, the source of a separately derived system, or other power supply source and the final branch-circuit overcurrent device.”

If you have a breaker in a panel feeding a disconnect next to the motor I assume the disconnect is technically the final OCPD??

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you have a breaker in a panel feeding a disconnect next to the motor I assume the disconnect is technically the final OCPD??
If the disconnect contains an OCPD then technically yes. There is always the argument about the OCPD being supplementary overcurrent protection at the end making it a branch circuit.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If that makes the conductors feeders, then you will not be permitted to used the rules in Article 430 for motor branch circuit conductors.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If that makes the conductors feeders, then you will not be permitted to used the rules in Article 430 for motor branch circuit conductors.
That was the reason for the debate; why the entire circuit couldn't use the same wire size.
Is there someone smart who can rewrite this so there is no debate when there is supplementary protection and still satisfy the issue with motor circuits?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is there someone smart who can rewrite this so there is no debate when there is supplementary protection and still satisfy the issue with motor circuits?
If the device at the motor is supplementary protection then the supply side conductors are branch circuit conductors.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Let me rephrase: what determines whether the local OCPD is supplemental?

Or are you saying that it always is on a dedicated (single-load) circuit?
I was only replying to this:
"Is there someone smart who can rewrite this so there is no debate when there is supplementary protection and still satisfy the issue with motor circuits? "
However the only time I would let the OCPD at the equipment make the supply to the OCPD a feeder is where the code required the OCPD at the equipment. For example changing out an air conditioner with one that has a lower maximum OCPD. No real code to support that, but it is how I apply the current rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.