NEC for junction boxes in the ceilings of commercial buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.
To get right to the point, how high above the ceiling must a junction box be in the ceiling?

I work for an insurance carrier, and complete quality reviews on estimates prepared by both adjusters and contractors. I have an estimate in which there is a small fire to a 5' x 5' area of the ceiling. The estimate is to replace all the wiring in the building. Aside from the fact that it is impossible for you to determine what is damaged by this question, when questioned about the need to replace all the wiring, the response I received was that the wiring had to be replaced because code requires junction boxes to be at least 2' above the ceiling, and the roof is lower than 2' from the ceiling.

The ceiling material is drywall, not suspended ceiling.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the ceiling is not accessible then you cannot have a junction box in the ceiling. There is no code as to the height of a JB in a suspended ceiling.

ritelec

To get right to the point,
I work for an insurance carrier, and complete quality reviews on estimates prepared by both adjusters and contractors.

This site is designed for:
Contractors
Electricians
Engineers
Inspectors
Instructors
Other electrically related individuals

Not to say how to do your job crunkls......Are you sure that is what was said? Was the response verbal.....was the response from an electrician? You may have been mistaken. Get something in writing. Get a couple responses (written).

At least your honest Mr. Insurance Man.................................

Thou shalt not throw anybody under the bus. :happyno:

Last edited:
junction boxes in attic

junction boxes in attic

Thanks for the replies folks. The attic is accessible, and I questioned why all the wiring had to be replaced when only a couple of runs were burnt. I asked why they couldn't be junctioned in the attic.

The general contractor replied, not the electrician. The GC stated it was code that the junction boxes had to be at least 2' above the ceiling. There was no response as to why unaffected runs had to be replaced, or how they determined them to be affected.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The only thing I can think of is there may be a local amendment that requires this in order that the JB is not buried in the insulation. Not an NEC code but it is a good idea.

ritelec

The general contractor replied, not the electrician. The GC stated it was code that the junction boxes had to be at least 2' above the ceiling. There was no response as to why unaffected runs had to be replaced, or how they determined them to be affected.

Get an electrician in there. Maybe the GC did and there was more damage than what there may appear to be. Not knowing, but it may be a better job to replace runs rather than boxing and splicing or whatever...to replace the burned
section.

Or.....maybe someone's trying to get over on the insurance company, put a couple of bucks in his pocket, or add a bidet in the mens room..........

Hire an electrician to scope it out for you........then just tack it onto the insurance claim...... :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.