NEC Handbook error on Boat Hoist GFCI protection?

Charlypt

Occupation
Electrician
We have installed several boat hoists in the past and always supply the system with GFCI protection. But the other day we were installing some 30A motors and one of the electricians showed an NEC version (2017 Handbook) and said that in this case the code states that it does not require GFCI protection.
I had always used the normal code, not the handbook, where article 210.8 (C) is applicable for Boat Hoist, without discussion; but in the Handbook there is an additional note that says:
"The GFCI requirement applies only to dwelling unit locations and to boat hoists supplied by 15- or 20-ampere branch circuits rated 240 volts or less."
This is going to sound crazy, but if our motors are 30 A, does that mean they are excluded or is this a bug in the Handbook code?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Note that while the Handbook commentary is normally spot on it is not code.

Charlypt

Occupation
Electrician
It does only apply to dwelling units however I don't see where 15-20 amp is applicable.
Check the Handbook.

Documented cases of electrocutions associated with the use of boat
hoists compiled by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission sub-stantiated
the need for this requirement. The GFCI requirement applies
only to dwelling unit locations and to boat hoists supplied by 15- or
20-ampere branch circuits rated 240 volts or less. It is important to note
that it applies to all outlets, not just to receptacle outlets. Therefore, both
cord-and-plug-connected and hard-wired boat hoists are required to be
GFCI protected.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
They probably should but the actual code sections between 210.8(A) and 210.8(C) is the real culprit IMO. "Boathouses" should not be in 210.8(A), 210.8(C) covers it completely.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I've got to regroup. Boathouses and Boat hoist are not the same thing. 210.8(C) stands alone and would require GFCI protection for all hoists but not all boathouses, my misstake.

Charlypt

Occupation
Electrician
They probably should but the actual code sections between 210.8(A) and 210.8(C) is the real culprit IMO. "Boathouses" should not be in 210.8(A), 210.8(C) covers it completely.
I suppose they can refer to Boathouse without Boat Hoist, talking about receptacles only.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In the 2023 the GFCI requirement applies to all boat hoist outlets not exceeding 240 volts, not just hoists at dwelling units as in the previous codes. Also the rule was moved to Article 555 in the 2020 because the scope of 555 was expanded to include docking facilities at dwelling units.