NEC reference to meter pan size

patricknola

Electrical contractor/Generac Dealer
Occupation
Electrical contractor.
Good morning, I'm wiring a new construction house with a friend(he's also a licensed electrician), I'm normally a service electrician. He asked and I want to know: There will be a meter socket and dis-connects outside for sub-panel and 2 ac compressors. He wanted to put a 200 amp sub panel inside which will accompany a 40 amp and a 30 amp ac compressor(total load). Can he use a 200 amp meter pan? More importantly for me what part of the NEC code book will explain to me how these are properly calculated? TIA

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You could use a 200A meter/main combo. That would also serve as the outside disconnect. You could use the feed-through lugs to feed the inside panel. Then you could run a 100A subpanel off the main (other inside) panel.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Are you afraid that the 200A meter is inadequate because there would be potentially 30A + 40A + 200A of load connected to the meter? I can't tell from your post if there are three service disconnects all off the meter, or if there is a 200A main disconnect panel which then feeds the 30A, 40A AC disconnects and the interior subpanel.

If it is 200A + 30A + 40A, that could still come off a 200A meter if the total calculated load is 200A. Using a 200A main breaker panel off a 200A meter is more idiot proof, but not code required as long as people are doing calculations. The meter main suggestion is a good way to handle it if it has 200A rated feed through lugs and you need more than 100A inside.

You can also feed a 200A rated interior panel from a circuit breaker rated less than 200A.

patricknola

Electrical contractor/Generac Dealer
Occupation
Electrical contractor.
Are you afraid that the 200A meter is inadequate because there would be potentially 30A + 40A + 200A of load connected to the meter? I can't tell from your post if there are three service disconnects all off the meter, or if there is a 200A main disconnect panel which then feeds the 30A, 40A AC disconnects and the interior subpanel.

If it is 200A + 30A + 40A, that could still come off a 200A meter if the total calculated load is 200A. Using a 200A main breaker panel off a 200A meter is more idiot proof, but not code required as long as people are doing calculations. The meter main suggestion is a good way to handle it if it has 200A rated feed through lugs and you need more than 100A inside.

You can also feed a 200A rated interior panel from a circuit breaker rated less than 200A.
Good morning, thanks for responding. I'm thinking about installing a 200 amp meter pan/12 circuit distribution panel w/main breaker. I'd like to feed a 30 amp ac comp, a 40 amp comp, a 50 amp oven, and either 150 or if possible a 200 amp sub panel(inside). Where in the code book does it tell me how many amps can come out of the meter pan/distribution panel?

Buck Parrish

Good morning, thanks for responding. I'm thinking about installing a 200 amp meter pan/12 circuit distribution panel w/main breaker. I'd like to feed a 30 amp ac comp, a 40 amp comp, a 50 amp oven, and either 150 or if possible a 200 amp sub panel(inside). Where in the code book does it tell me how many amps can come out of the meter pan/distribution panel?
NEC 220 - 230

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm thinking about installing a 200 amp meter pan/12 circuit distribution panel w/main breaker. I'd like to feed a 30 amp ac comp, a 40 amp comp, a 50 amp oven, and either 150 or if possible a 200 amp sub panel(inside).
With the 200a main breaker, you can have any combination downstream, even several 100 and 200a breakers.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Numerous possibilities.
As Buck states, step 1 would be a load calculation per Art 220.
Simplest but definitely not the only solution would be a 200 amp M/B feed-thru panel with a 200 amp feeder from the feed-thru lugs to a MLO 200 amp panel. Other feeds would definitely be an option.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You'll need a load calculation to determine one, is a 200 amps service adequate and two what size feeder is needed for the sub-panel. If the 200 amp service is adequate then you could install 200 amp feeder and 200 amp sub-panel.