NEC switched receptacles to non switched markings

Running into more controversy over the energy code in my area. Lately more and more people/work stations are asking for the switched receptacles to be constantly energized because of their work, even if we suggested adding more occupancy sensors to reduce the chance of it happening

I told them I have to get approval from others because last time we did this in other areas to keep people happy we got a 'good lecture' from the powers that be that we shouldn't be doing this, without prior approval because of energy code requirements of having the 50% of receptacles being switched.

So the question is, has your area run into this issue with the customers and energy code adoption? also when you make the receptacles constantly hot do you change out the receptacles to regular ones since the switched ones had the switched symbol on them? I was informed it was a code violation to have a switched symbol receptacle remain and it was no longer switched. What NEC code article is this one found?, I don't have my code at the moment.

I also noticed that the receptacles were split with 2 circuits, (one switched the other one not) but they did not use handle ties or a 2 pole breaker for the circuits, another violation. It gets complicated when the circuits are not side by side.

What area is that? You profile doesn't say where you're located. Is this a local energy code?
Its actually adopted by the state as well as the cities. Seattle energy code.

Here is part of the International Energy Code

C405.10Controlled receptacles.​

At least 50 percent of all 125-volt 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in private offices, open offices, conference rooms, rooms used primarily for printing and/or copying functions, break rooms, individual workstations and classrooms, including those installed in modular partitions and modular office workstation systems, shall be controlled as required by this section. In rooms larger than 200 square feet (19 m2), a controlled receptacle shall be located within 72 inches (1.8 m) of each uncontrolled receptacle. Controlled receptacles shall be visibly differentiated from standard receptacles and shall be controlled by one of the following automatic control devices:

Do you know what NEC code covers it? also what have you run into in your area?

kwired

Electron manager
I almost never install a switched receptacle- for any occupancy. Pretty sure I never installed an occupancy sensor as the control when I have installed them.

Seems to me most users would figure out this controlled receptacle and would have a tendency to avoid using them for items they plug in making it pointless to install that way, but big brother knows what is best I guess.

cadpoint

I was at a supply house and a major manufacture is now making switches and receptacles of all colors.

Energy savings is a LEED thing,

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Its actually adopted by the state as well as the cities. Seattle energy code.

Here is part of the International Energy Code

C405.10Controlled receptacles.​

At least 50 percent of all 125-volt 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in private offices, open offices, conference rooms, rooms used primarily for printing and/or copying functions, break rooms, individual workstations and classrooms, including those installed in modular partitions and modular office workstation systems, shall be controlled as required by this section. In rooms larger than 200 square feet (19 m2), a controlled receptacle shall be located within 72 inches (1.8 m) of each uncontrolled receptacle. Controlled receptacles shall be visibly differentiated from standard receptacles and shall be controlled by one of the following automatic control devices:

Do you know what NEC code covers it? also what have you run into in your area?
The NEC does not care...energy conservation is not within the scope of the NEC.

kwired

Electron manager
(y)

NEC would still apply to wiring methods following listings and such, just not the implementation of any energy conservation aspects.

Same goes for NEC and air tight requirements around openings in walls/ceilings for things like devices and luminaires.

Informational notes that reference other standards is a possibility in NEC though. Not aware of any for the two items I just mentioned though but does happen often if there is another NFPA document to reference.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
(y)

NEC would still apply to wiring methods following listings and such, just not the implementation of any energy conservation aspects.

Same goes for NEC and air tight requirements around openings in walls/ceilings for things like devices and luminaires.

Informational notes that reference other standards is a possibility in NEC though. Not aware of any for the two items I just mentioned though but does happen often if there is another NFPA document to reference.
My point is only that there are a lot of rules in other codes and standards that require things. The NEC only tells us how to wire the things that are required by other codes and standards.

Below is my other NEC question. I will soon be back in my shop to look it up later. Was hoping to find the article related to switched receptacles.

when you make the receptacles constantly hot do you change out the receptacles to regular ones since the switched ones had the switched symbol on them? I was informed it was a code violation to have a switched symbol receptacle remain and it was no longer switched. What NEC code article is this one found?,

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Below is my other NEC question. I will soon be back in my shop to look it up later. Was hoping to find the article related to switched receptacles.

when you make the receptacles constantly hot do you change out the receptacles to regular ones since the switched ones had the switched symbol on them? I was informed it was a code violation to have a switched symbol receptacle remain and it was no longer switched. What NEC code article is this one found?,
It was added as 406.3(E) in the 2014 and moved to 406.3(F) in the 2023. However the language requires the controlled receptacle to be marked, but does not specifically prohibit a non-controlled receptacle from having the marking. I expect that most AHJs would require the removal of the marking if you supply the receptacle form an always hot source.

kwired

Electron manager
It was added as 406.3(E) in the 2014 and moved to 406.3(F) in the 2023. However the language requires the controlled receptacle to be marked, but does not specifically prohibit a non-controlled receptacle from having the marking. I expect that most AHJs would require the removal of the marking if you supply the receptacle form an always hot source.
Note that only applies to automatically controlled receptacles.

A receptacle controlled by manual means like a typical wall switch wouldn't require the marking.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Note that only applies to automatically controlled receptacles.

A receptacle controlled by manual means like a typical wall switch wouldn't require the marking.
Glad you mentioned this. You never know what inspector will see this in chapter 4 and think that it applies to the switched outlets for disposals and half hots either side of a bed for table lamps.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
I was at a supply house and a major manufacture is now making switches and receptacles of all colors.

Energy savings is a LEED thing,
Its the International Energy Conservation Code, ie "the Building Code"

anbm

Heard a contractor said ... They will submit plans with controlled outlets, whether the client will install those outlets later is another question :)

kwired

Electron manager
Glad you mentioned this. You never know what inspector will see this in chapter 4 and think that it applies to the switched outlets for disposals and half hots either side of a bed for table lamps.
That's were you point out what it actually says, if he still disagrees you whack him over the head with your code book.