NEC vs IRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

david

Does the IRC supersede the NEC?

Is there some specific discrepancy you had in mind? I hear this a lot but I know of very few discrepancies between the two. Are you aware that the Electrical chapters in the IRC are written by the NFPA for the ICC in other words they are copy righted by the NFPA?

I find the question interesting in this way the international code councils model codes , always allow you to install systems in accordance to the commercial standards for instance you can use the international plumbing code verses the residential chapters on plumbing.

The NEC is considered now, depending on what year of the ICC codes your state adopted to be the commercial Electrical code for the ICC model codes. In fact the IRC specifically states you are not limited to the IRC electrical chapters and you can use the NEC for systems covered in the NEC verses the IRC.

One example would be smoke and (carbon) detectors the IRC covers 120 volt inter connected systems, but you are not prohibited from using a commercial fire alarm system in one / two family and town houses. If you install a fire alarm (low voltage) systems you are not required to install the 120 volt interconnected smokes and (carbons)

Edit: Notwithstanding there are times when commercial appliances are specifically prohibited from being used in one two family and townhouses

Last edited:

JDB3

I have a job that the "specs." call for the wiring to meet the State Code, the latest edition of the NEC, & the IRC. I have not read the full IRC yet. Do you see any problems that might arise? :?

JFletcher

I hear this a lot but I know of very few discrepancies between the two.

Va Building Code (2012) says this about AFCI breakers:

E3902.12 Arc-fault protection of bedroom outlets.
All branch circuits that supply 120-volt, single phase, 15-ampere and 20-ampere outlets installed in bedrooms shall be protected by a combination type arc-fault circuit interrupter installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

2011/14 NEC require AFCI in many more places. Our IRC on AFCI is more like the 2002 NEC. If you priced, say, a panel change out based on the NEC, it would cost several hundred dollars more than IRC code due to the increased amount of AFCI breakers needed.

JDB3, if you are required to meet both codes, where there are discrepancies, you will have to meet the more restrictive ones.

If the IRC is adopted in its entirety, than yes the IRC electrical section would trump the NEC for one and two family dwellings. VA is that way.

Yes it is! Which is why until recently Ive been puzzled by the boss saying we were under 2012 code (IRC), not 2011 (NEC), and in a recent panel change out, we only had to arc fault the bedroom receptacles.

david

Va Building Code (2012) says this about AFCI breakers:

I no longer hold my licence in VA. so i am no longer keeping up with what you state is doing. However the 2012 International electrical provisions would be based on the 2011 NEC and most likely your state has amendments to the AFCI requirements.

david

I have a job that the "specs." call for the wiring to meet the State Code, the latest edition of the NEC, & the IRC. I have not read the full IRC yet. Do you see any problems that might arise? :?

Stairway lighting especially the basement stairs, it is easier to comply by placing the stairway fixture over the stair way , rather than top landing bottom landing.

Inter connected smoke and carbon ( when attached garage or fossil fuels)

The NEC lighting outlets at exterior (man) doors the IRC required egress doors.

I the IRC does not define covered stairs (belco doors) the same as the NEC (exterior Stairs) the IRC does not require the covered stairs to have a lighting outlet

Still thinking!!!

iwire

Staff member
Stairway lighting especially the basement stairs, it is easier to comply by placing the stairway fixture over the stair way , rather than top landing bottom landing.

What a poorly written code rule that must be.

Lets make it hard to change the lamp so it ends up with a dark stairway.

JFletcher

What a poorly written code rule that must be.

Lets make it hard to change the lamp so it ends up with a dark stairway.

Change the lamp? Pole tool; $20 at big box store. Hang the can/wire it to begin with when you need to be 16' up and there is no way to bring more than a 10' ladder up the stairs? Took about an hour to build temporary scaffolding to the framing. Not sure how it'll get trimmed out since drywall will be up and finished when we return (Im open to suggestions).

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Change the lamp? Pole tool; $20 at big box store. Hang the can/wire it to begin with when you need to be 16' up and there is no way to bring more than a 10' ladder up the stairs? Took about an hour to build temporary scaffolding to the framing. Not sure how it'll get trimmed out since drywall will be up and finished when we return (Im open to suggestions).
They make ladders that can be configured with different lengths front and back so that they can be used on stairs. A lot easier than building a scaffold.

JDB3

I know what you are talking about on the stairways. I have had the problem with entry fixtures. Need a 16 foot stepladder for the install, with not enough room to fully expand the legs of the ladder !! :jawdrop:

Status
Not open for further replies.