Nec vs nesc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on a power plant job and was told after a question I raised about cable fill allowance in a tray exposed an overfill, I was told that power plants don't have to follow the NEC so we'll ignore that. Do power plants follow NESC?

mivey

I am working on a power plant job and was told after a question I raised about cable fill allowance in a tray exposed an overfill, I was told that power plants don't have to follow the NEC so we'll ignore that. Do power plants follow NESC?
Yes.

As for the NEC, some parts of the "power plant" may be covered, depending on how the area is defined.

charlie

90.2(A)(4) Covered. Installations used by the electric utility, such as office buildings, warehouses, garages, machine shops, and recreational buildings, that are not an integral part of a generating plant, substation, or control center.

90.2(B)(5) Not Covered. Installations under the exclusive control of an electric utility where such installations
a. Consist of service drops or service laterals, and associated metering, or
b. Are located in legally established easements or rights-of-way designated by or recognized by public service commissions, utility commissions, or other regulatory agencies having jurisdiction for such installations, or
c. Are on property owned or leased by the electric utility for the purpose of communications, metering, generation, control, transformation, transmission, or distribution of electric energy.

FPN to (4) and (5): Examples of utilities may include those entities that are typically designated or recognized by governmental law or regulation by public service/utility commissions and that install, operate, and maintain electric supply (such as generation, transmission, or distribution systems) or communication systems (such as telephone, CATV, Internet, satellite, or data services). Utilities may be subject to compliance with codes and standards covering their regulated activities as adopted under governmental law or regulation. Additional information can be found through consultation with the appropriate governmental bodies, such as state regulatory commissions, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, and the Federal Communications Commission.

Generally speaking, if you are inside a generating station, the NESC applies and not the NEC. It is interesting to note that wiring around coal is covered by the NESC and it defers to the NEC for Class II locations. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.