NEC Wire type requirments for 4-20mA analog circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM2-Inc

My apologies for my ignorance, but my background is with NEC Article 760.

I'm trying to identify where in the NEC would I find the requirements for the cable used for Analog circuits such as might be tied to a PLC. I'm thinking 300 Volt insulation is acceptable, but where should I look for the code reference.

DM2-Inc

School at Midnight...."No Class"

School at Midnight...."No Class"

That's what I'm doing at the moment but I'm still a little confused.

The power supply we're using has a 24 Volt, 75 Amp rated output. The input is 208 with a 14.5 amp draw. Based on 725.41(A), I'm guessing the power supply isn't a Class 1 power supply (24 Volts x 75 Amps = 1,800 VA), right?

The power supply I'm using is listed to UL 1012 which is titled "Power Units Other Than Class 2". The UL Standard for Class 2 power supplies is UL 1310. Since it isn't Class 1 by definition of it's VA's, and it doesn't appear to be "Class 2". It must be Class 3...right?

A look at Table 11(B) in Chapter 9 doesn't seem to fit since the incoming power ("Source Voltage) is greater than 150 Volts, or is the term "Source" intended to be the output of the power supply?

When the system looses AC voltage it is then powered from the batteries, which according to 725.121(A)(5) is defined as a Class 2 power source.

Am I generally correct in saying that Class 1 circuits require 600 Volt insulation, where as Class 2 or 3 may permit 300 Volt Insulation.

Someone posted an article from http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_making_sense_necs/ from ECM Magazine titled "Making Sense of the NEC's Rules on Industrial Controls" which dates back to 2003. Under "Point's to Remember" the first paragraph hints;
"...If the circuit is an instrumentation circuit and meets the requirements of Art. 727.5, you can use ITC (300V insulation)."

Our customer has spec'd all 300 Volt insulation. They're saying that the cable is "ITC" and therefore falls under 727.5 and I'm telling them that no matter how much lipstick and perfume you put on it...I'm still not kissing it.

Any direction or education you guys can offer is appreciated. To me this is like school at Midnight...."No Class"

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
While it would not be a Class 1, power limited circuit, 725.41(A), it would be a Class 1, non-power limited circuit, 725.41(B). I don't think that your power source meets the requirements of a Class 3 circuit, but am not 100% sure. You may be able to use multiple fuses with a valve of no more than 4.166 amps to make it a Class 3 circuit but again I am not sure.
It also appears to me that you can't use ITC based on 727.5.
727.5 Uses Not Permitted.
Type ITC cable shall not be installed on circuits operating at more than 150 volts or more than 5 amperes.
Installation of Type ITC cable with other cables shall be subject to the stated provisions of the specific articles for the other cables. Where the governing articles do not contain stated provisions for installation with Type ITC cable, the installation of Type ITC cable with the other cables shall not be permitted.
Type ITC cable shall not be installed with power, lighting, Class 1 circuits that are not power limited, or non–power-limited circuits.

That being said I use a two conductor shielded cable with 300 volt insulation for all of my PLC and DCS analog circuits, however each of the cables that leave the control cabinet are fused at 1/2 amp or less before they leave the cabinet.

Last edited:

DM2-Inc

You may be able to use multiple fuses with a valve of no more than 4.166 amps to make it a Class 3 circuit
How does using a 4.166 amp fuse help?

...each of the cables that leave the control cabinet are fused at 1/2 amp...
How does this help?

How do I apply Table 11(B) from Chapter 9 when the "Source Voltage" is 208?

Status
Not open for further replies.