NECA Installation Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
I'm interested to see peoples opinion on why it is that Engineers feel it is necessary to load specifcations and drawings with installation requirements, when NECA already covers many of the equipment installations types, and rather well at that.

For some reason engineers think they, in general, know more about installation then the Contractor, when in most, not all, but most cases it is the opposite.

I will appreciate everyone's kind and thoughtful comments.:rolleyes:

jtester

As an engineer, I regularly "load" my specifications with installation requirements for a number of reasons. Many contractors can't or don't or won't refer to NECA. Many will argue with me that they don't have to do "it" if the requirement is not spelled out in my specifications, and even if they know how, they won't follow NECA unless specifically a part of the contract documents.

I don't think it is a matter of engineers thinking that they know more than electricians, but that engineers are used to installers cutting corners on bid jobs when the requirements are not pretty clear.

Jim T

ryan_618

What happens when the engineer doesn't agree with NECA? The document referenced in 110.12 is from NECA, and I disagree with a lot of it. If I were designing, I wouldn't refer to it, even though I repect the men who wrote it.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Our specifications refer to NECA installation standards, but I must admit, I have never seen the NECA standards.

But most of the contractors I have seen care about doing quality work.

I think the "NECA" standards and the other things I put in the specs. helps level the playing field. It keeps other contractors from getting the low bid by doing sloppy work.

Steve

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Nope it's the NECA standards. I have obtained some of them and they are very strict and detailed installation standards that are fine in the class room and, in many cases, not very realistic in the field. But they do establish guidelines that will vet out alot of unqualified workers.

Bob on the left coast.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
If you belong to NECA, are you required to follow their standards for installation, or are they considered only "recommendations", and not necessarily required?

Any NECA Contractors out there who could chime in?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
They are only required to be followed if they are part of the contract documents. The standards are designed to "level the playing field"...that is make sure that all of the bidders are going to provide the same job to the client.
Don

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
OK HWS. Here are just a couple of examples from the NECA 1-2000 "standard practices" manual.

6. outlet boxes (b) Outlet and device boxes shall be securely and rigidly attached or supported plumb, level and true.

No on can argue that this requirement is a good one but we all know the there are many cases where it is not warranted or practicle to do so.

6. outlet boxes (g) Generally, single-gang outlet and device boxes for switches shall be mounted with the long axis vertical.

Why?

9. wire and cable (p) Terminations of insulated conductors shall be made so that the stripped length of bare conductor is not longer than required for the equipment terminal, lug or connector. The conductor insulation shall bear against the terminal or connector shoulder.

Personally I think it is better to have a little bare conductor exposed so that you can see at a glance that the screw is not on the insulation.

My point is not that the standards are a bad idea. I just don't want an inspector or me to have no wiggle room for those difficult situations. (i can tell already I'm going to get blasted for this one) Bring it on fellas.

Bob on the left coast.

hardworkingstiff

bkludecke said:
6. outlet boxes (g) Generally, single-gang outlet and device boxes for switches shall be mounted with the long axis vertical.

Why?

Just a guess, so that the switch will read "on" and "off" (that is so long as the installer doesn't install it to read "no" and "ffo").

Thanks for the examples Bob.

ryan_618

I have to make an apology. I had stated before that the NECA workmanship document refered to having receptacles in the "ground up" position. I have been looking through the document, and it appears I am wrong :(. I know that I read it in one of the NECA standards, I just don't recall which one. I will do some more research and let those interested know what I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.