Need a class on the NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work for a manufacturer of large electrical equipment and I think I'd better understand the NEC a little better before we decide on what goes into the product and what we recommend to the customer at installation (wire sizes, circuit breakers, etc). Is there a good source for an instructor-led class? If it matters, I am in NY, but I can travel. I'm looking for something pretty soon (next few months).
On a related note.. is the CEC substantially similar to the NEC? In other words, if I take a class on the NEC, could I pretty much figure out what I need to know in the CEC by just having a copy of it on hand?

e57

CEC? Do you mean California - or Canada?

As far as courses in NY - No clue for you - from me.... Others may know.

So - dare I say it, there are quite a few things to learn about product design and NEC installation issues that I don't think any one course (or dozen of them) could cover, or at least not comprehensively. You may want to hire a consultant - or a few to beat your product line around and make suggestions to the design &/or instructions. It may cost you less than years of courses - or missing a few key elements. As well as produce a better, and better selling product.

Personally, I wince everytime I see "Made in Italy" and wish someone would go over there and set them straight. Sure they may have obtained a UL listing etc. for whatever - but more often than not I get things that are half steps toward a code compliant patch on a product made for a Euro market. Often they have no way of even installing the item. e.g. Light fixture originally meant to be installed with a wood screw and a splice buried in plaster. The fix is to provide a poorly made ill-fitting canopy for the fixture to be mounted to a standard 4/0 box (Not typically used inside - depending on the wiring style - easy to solve.) - but the screws must be mounted from the INSIDE of the fixture..... I get a few dozen of these a year...

Last edited:
Yes- Canadian Electrical Code.

The plan was to take a basic 'starter' course on the NEC and then use it to identify the areas where more information was needed; and then track those issues down seperately (either through further training or individual questions).

I think the company's idea is to make me that consultant; they've already had me trained on the relevant North American (UL/CSA) and international (EN/IEC) standards that apply to the products...

More specifically here: http://www.mikeholt.com/rolodex_search_result.php?STATE=NY

:D

I was looking for a personal recommendation but it sounds like just being listed on the site is recommendation enough.

In general though, I was looking for a larger school with a well defined curriculum. Most of the folks listed at the above link appear to be individuals offering smaller-scope, more focused training (i.e. "Joint Apprenticeship Training for inside wireman union program.", licensing preparation for the Suffolk County licensing exam, licensing preparation for the Nassau County - ", "Training center for continuing education in the electrical industry for electrical personnel only." etc).

What I'm really looking for is a general intro to the NEC, so that I can discover what it is I have to learn.

walton

Try the NFPA. They offer a 3 day course on NEC Essentials and a 1 day course on Harzardous Locations. Usaully both are available in the same week. Hard to learn the NEC in 4 days. I've been working with it for 30 years and still need help.

e57

The plan was to take a basic 'starter' course on the NEC and then use it to identify the areas where more information was needed; and then track those issues down seperately (either through further training or individual questions).

I think the company's idea is to make me that consultant; they've already had me trained on the relevant North American (UL/CSA) and international (EN/IEC) standards that apply to the products...

Not knowing what the products are.... (You could tell us without advertising...) Assuming appliance/equpiment - you would only need to focus on branch circuit sizing, termination, disconnecting means and typical wiring methods/materials and thier respective securing and support. Many courses might take you down a very long road unneccesarily - and waste your time IMO. Unless you found one very specific.

Not knowing what the products are.... (You could tell us without advertising...) Assuming appliance/equpiment - you would only need to focus on branch circuit sizing, termination, disconnecting means and typical wiring methods/materials and thier respective securing and support. Many courses might take you down a very long road unneccesarily - and waste your time IMO. Unless you found one very specific.
(Emphasis added) You are spot on. However, it might not be a bad idea to get a general overview of the NEC, just for the heck of it.

The products are computers (Servers) with ratings at 200-240 that go from 15A to 100A depending on the product.

Try the NFPA. They offer a 3 day course on NEC Essentials and a 1 day course on Harzardous Locations. Usaully both are available in the same week. Hard to learn the NEC in 4 days. I've been working with it for 30 years and still need help.

I hadn't checked the NFPA site yet, I will do that.

The two I came up with are:

http://www.nttinc.com/course_view.cfm?cID=781
2008 NEC with NFPA 70E and Grounding/Bonding
$1,599.00* + $50 reg fee, 5 days

http://www.trainup.com/Industrial-T...2008-National-Electrical-Codeand174-16715.htm
$1099 but no NFPA 70E or grounding. 3 days

Anyone have any experience with these?

Anyone have an NTT discount code?

Anyone have an NTT discount code?

I went to sign up for the course. At checkout it says you can use a discount code to waive the $50 registration fee on the $1,599 class. It shows a picture of a 5 digit code and says:

"DISCOUNT CODE
Here is an example of a Discount Code that you can find on most NTT collateral. Please enter this code here to waive the $50 registration fee."

I guess if you have taken previous courses, they put the code on the Standard, Guide, or Handbook they give you (?)

Does anyone have a code like this I can use?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.