Need a laugh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

I have 2 full but broken spools of #12 stranded THHN sitting in the garage. I got them for free.

Now, some people would take these to the junkyard or throw them into a dumpster. No, not me.

Today I decided to respool them. Yup, I pulled all 500 feet off the broken spool, very carefully I might add to avoid tangling, put an empty spool on my wire cart and respooled it BY HAND.

I'm going to do the other one as soon as I get another empty spool. :D

Yeah, I can put that on my resume now! :D

JJWalecka

Re: Need a laugh?

Peter D you must have forearms of steel. I have repaired broken spoils with a piece of 3/8 rod and 2" washers and nuts on either side. If the spoils isn't in too bad of shape I find it works well.

Justin W.

peter d

Originally posted by justinjwalecka:
Peter D you must have forearms of steel. I have repaired broken spoils with a piece of 3/8 rod and 2" washers and nuts on either side. If the spoils isn't in too bad of shape I find it works well.

Justin W.
Hmmmm....great idea, I wish I had thought of that. :eek:

Funny you mention that, I was actually doing it for the exercise and to build my arms up. I'm not a "tough guy" by any stretch, and it was only #12 after all, but it was a darn good workout at any rate.
:D

bphgravity

I once tried to repair a 200' steel fish tape, big mistake. I didn't learn my lesson because sometime later I tried to rewind a 30' tape measure. :eek:

JJWalecka

I learned that trick by dropping the spoil and dreading telling the foreman that the new 500 foot spoil is now junk. :D . I find after rolling up a couple hundred feet of rope on a spoil can feel like an eternity.

Justin W.

JJWalecka

Bphgravity been there before with the tape. :D .
A cool tip I was taught is when a steel tape has the uncontrollable curling effect when unreeled, you bend a piece of 1/2 " emt all over the ten feet. Kicks in all directions. you push the snake in and pull it through. It fixes the curliness. I was amazed when I first witnessed it. I thought of all the snakes I had junked because I thought they were junk. I usually takes three guys. One to pull, one to feed and one to hold pipe. It might take a few tries but it works :p

Justin W.

jimwalker

I would simply try to fine short runs to use it up.Had a almost full box of cat 5e given to me cause it jamed up on the guy.Not about to rewind the thing on a spool but will use it up 50 or 100 feet at a time.

M

mkoloj

Originally posted by jimwalker:
I would simply try to fine short runs to use it up.Had a almost full box of cat 5e given to me cause it jamed up on the guy.Not about to rewind the thing on a spool but will use it up 50 or 100 feet at a time.
If this is one of the spool-free boxes this usually happens when coils on the far end get caught up in the wire feeding out of the box. I have fixed this by opening the box and finding the far end and simply pulling on it you pull out the end coils that got caught at the leading end.
I have been on jobs pulling cable by myself and actually pulled jammed boxes up into the ceiling. Then it gets stuck and I go back looking for the snag and start scrathing my head for a second thinking I had set up one box too few, I go to the head of the pull and count the cables and I have the right amount. I take a peek in the ceiling and there is a box of cable in the tray.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by mkoloj:
I have been on jobs pulling cable by myself and actually pulled jammed boxes up into the ceiling. Then it gets stuck and I go back looking for the snag and start scrathing my head for a second thinking I had set up one box too few,
:D

LMAO.

I am sure I put out six boxes? :confused:

paul

Originally posted by bphgravity:
I once tried to repair a 200' steel fish tape, big mistake. I didn't learn my lesson because sometime later I tried to rewind a 30' tape measure. :eek:
I just unreeled my 200 footer the other day. I had a guy helping me and I'll be damned if he didn't pull it apart and explode it. I was a bit irked, as I've prided myself in having the same fish tape for the last 8 years. So I made three trips around a large self contained V-16 Cat genset and took the tape apart to fix it. It now works like brand new. :D

The last fish tape I had that got destroyed was ruined by a 1st year apprentice who was pulling at 90 degrees to the conduit. When the run was pulled and I walked over to him to see how much he had out, my tape was next to him, curled up in a 5" dia. I asked what the $@#! he just did to my fish tape and he responded, 'I didn't do anything. It just came out that way!' Rrrrrg :roll:

[ August 26, 2005, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: paul ]

tom25

The Reel End works great, I put one
on every truck.
I would always recycle the wire...no way
we would spend the time to put it on another reel.

peter d....you have to much time on your hands.

luckyshadow

Weave the fishtape through the rungs of a 8 foot ladder then pull it out - should straighten it right up. A pallet works just as well.

allenwayne

When those 200 ft fish tapes take a dump grab 1 1/2 ft of 1in. armored flex tape a 2 1/2 ft coil and keep feeding.you`ll be surprised how much longer that piece of c_ ap wil do it`s job,I think I still have 1 from the mid 80`s :D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Last time I had to re-roll a spool of wire, I fed a nut and bolt with washers through the new reel, snugged them up, chucked the bolt in a drill, and let the motor do the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.