Need educational guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I,m new in this industry. I,m an electrician apprentice. I perform assigned tasks under the supervision of an electrician. I,m learning things very slowly. I want to earn a good income and want to become a professional electrician. My question is: What education and training is required to become a professional electrician.

iwire

Staff member
Very hard question to answer because a lot depends on what part of the industry that you want to work in. Industrial electricians need to learn different things than residential electricians, residential electricians need to learn different things than commercial electricians. Of course some tasks are universal and at this point you need to focus on getting the basics. Try to work for a company that does a lot of different types of work.

My own experience is this, if you work hard, and you try to listen to what the you are being told / taught and appear to be sincerely interested in moving ahead it will happen.

At the same time don't let yourself be taken advantage of, there are compactness that will do that and it is your own responsibility to stand up for yourself.

Flux

If I could do it over again I would go through the IBEW before working 8 years non union because they take educating apprentices very seriously and with the brotherhood a journeyman is more likely to take you under his wing then a nonunion electrician and teach you how to stand up for your self. Then after a five year apprenticeship I would take a instrumentation and controls associates program. IMHO you would be bomb proof at that point.

Very hard question to answer because a lot depends on what part of the industry that you want to work in. Industrial electricians need to learn different things than residential electricians, residential electricians need to learn different things than commercial electricians. Of course some tasks are universal and at this point you need to focus on getting the basics. Try to work for a company that does a lot of different types of work.

My own experience is this, if you work hard, and you try to listen to what the you are being told / taught and appear to be sincerely interested in moving ahead it will happen.

At the same time don't let yourself be taken advantage of, there are compactness that will do that and it is your own responsibility to stand up for yourself.
I want to be an all-rounder:D. I want to learn everything like Commercial Lighting, Energy Efficient Lighting, Lighting and Electrical repairs and Installation, Expert Troubleshooting etc. I working very hard and i,m very good at following instructions. Thanks for your reply.

If I could do it over again I would go through the IBEW before working 8 years non union because they take educating apprentices very seriously and with the brotherhood a journeyman is more likely to take you under his wing then a nonunion electrician and teach you how to stand up for your self. Then after a five year apprenticeship I would take a instrumentation and controls associates program. IMHO you would be bomb proof at that point.
Hmmm that seems like a really good planning. I will do research about IBEW and IMHO. Hope this will be good for me. Thanks for your reply.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
You are half way there already. A willingness to learn is what you have. You will be working on equipment in 5 years that has not been invented yet.

For starters
Subscribe to EC&M, EC (Electrical Contractor) and NEMA Electroindustry News.
All are free, and will keep you abreast of the industry.
Collect and read catalogs from Sq D, T&B, AB etc
Look for a local chapter of the IAEI International Assocation of Electrial Inspectors and attend a meeting, better yet, join.

Subscribe to EC&M, EC (Electrical Contractor) and NEMA Electroindustry News.
Collect and read catalogs from Sq D, T&B, AB etc
Look for a local chapter of the IAEI International Assocation of Electrial Inspectors and attend a meeting, better yet, join.
I don,t have too much time to study and be up to date to all these because, i,m working overtime now a day's. Can you please describe the best one i should follow until i get some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.