Need Help, Automation Direct Do-More! and DirectLogic 205

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Getting pulled in to troubleshooting a system running on a DL205 base with 3 DL205 remotes. Got a copy of the program that I have been looking through off line. ( I don't have a PLC and the site is about 4 hours away.) Yes, I know the problem is rarely the program, but the program is often the only way you can figure out the problem in the field.

I am more familiar with Modicon, especially the older ladder logic, which is very similar to DoMore! There may be some general things I am missing, but I am at the point where I need some specific answers to further my understanding. I am likely to travel to the site next week.

For the portion of the system that is having a problem, the output coil and the discrete inputs in the logic are "C#" bits. I am unable to figure out just what I/O points these "C#" bits are mapped to. The nicknames for these points do not appear in any MAPIO elements. Also there are some "D" words that are used in timer presets. These do not have any nicknames to search with, and the "D#" words do not appear anywhere else when searching. Some of the inputs are likely from an HMI, which I have not been able to get into the program for. Still working on that...

So... how do I trace these "C#" bits and "D#" words to their origins? Is it possible they are blind reads and writes? I am guessing they come in through Modbus comms, but am still trying to figure out that part also.

All help will be GREATLY appreciated.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think they are just memory locations. They are not mapped to anything directly that I recall. Often though, people map I/o to internal bits just using copy or move instructions.

I am pretty sure you can run a cross reference to figure out where these addresses are used.

If they are coming in via modbus it complicates things a lot, especially if the documentation is not up to snuff.

It is common to use data addresses for timer presets if the PLC supports that so you can change it from an HMI or just go online and change the data and not need to do online programming.

It's hard to help you without a lot of information you have not provided and might not even have.

I have been on these kind of missions more than once. You have to piece together what information you can gather into something that helps you. I rebuilt a PLC program once from the HMI application and the schematic drawings. At least you have a working PLC with a working program.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I looked in the manual. I did not find that there are any data words labeled D#.

X=Inputs
Y=outputs
V=Variable (16 bit integers)
C= Coils (Booleans)

It appears that all the data blocks (X,Y,C, etc.) are also mapped into V words.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
I looked in the manual. I did not find that there are any data words labeled D#.

X=Inputs
Y=outputs
V=Variable (16 bit integers)
C= Coils (Booleans)

It appears that all the data blocks (X,Y,C, etc.) are also mapped into V words.
It shows as a built-in, signed word (I forget how many bits) in the Do-More! program.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It shows as a built-in, signed word (I forget how many bits) in the Do-More! program.
Is that some kind of new programming software? I have not worked with these units in a long time.

It does not appear the Do More software works with the 205. Maybe there is a processor that fits on a 205 base but works with the do more software?

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Is that some kind of new programming software? I have not worked with these units in a long time.

It does not appear the Do More software works with the 205. Maybe there is a processor that fits on a 205 base but works with the do more software?
Well, the Do-More! software I downloaded is working with the file I was given, and when calling up the configuration, it shows DirectLogic 205. Pretty sure it is what the other guy that I will be helping is using, too.

Inmanster

Occupation
Industrial Electrician

Correct. There is a Do-more drop in processor that works with the DL205 base and modules. The DL stuff is Koyo while the Do-more is Host Engineering. The software is completely different.

Inmanster

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
C bits are the internal control bits. Rung1 input X0 and input X1 turn on coil C0. Rung2 control bit C0 turns on coil output Y0. If you don't see the control bit originating from within the logic as an output coil on a rung then they could be used with an HMI. A HMI PB may be activating the C bit in the logic or similar.

DWords are 32 Bit Signed Registers. All types of data could be stored here; counts, time, results from math, It should come from the logic though. It may originate from a HMI but I'm use to V registers there. If you click on say D0 and then search by pressing Ctrl/f or right clicking and clicking Seach, then select Find All you will get a list in the message area of all the locations that the DWord is used. This should help locate the source.

There are register locations associated with timers and counters. In DirectLogic I believe these were in the V register but I don't know about the Do-more software.