Need help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick711

I am reading and trying to learn a little out of an old electrical school book, looking at the lab examples and one of the labs asks to wire a "Baby switch circuit" but there is no picture or example and the next lab asks to wire a "CB switch, Baby switch all GFCI protected and two receptacles are not" and no picture or example. Can someone tell me what is a "Baby switch circuit" or the second one please.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Did quick search.
1916 material book.

My paternal grandmother probably helped make at least a few of the parts in that 1916 Western Electric supply year book. She was one of about 10,000 people working at the Hawthorn plant in Cicero, IL when the Eastland capsized in the Chicago River in 1915, killing 844 employees and their families. Luckily for my family, she was not on it.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/hist...usitania-why-has-it-been-forgotten-180953146/

rick711

Thank you for the info, the book does not have a cover, I found it at a flea market about a month ago, it is old and falling apart, but the price was right it was free, the lady said if you want it take it because she was going to throw it out instead of take back home. More of half of the book is gone. I am still learning from it though. I am not sure at all but it was showing me a circuit where a smaller relay was controlling a motor started and another where a smaller relay was controlling lighting contactors. Is this what is meant as a baby switch circuit?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Thank you for the info, the book does not have a cover, I found it at a flea market about a month ago, it is old and falling apart, but the price was right it was free, the lady said if you want it take it because she was going to throw it out instead of take back home. More of half of the book is gone. I am still learning from it though. I am not sure at all but it was showing me a circuit where a smaller relay was controlling a motor started and another where a smaller relay was controlling lighting contactors. Is this what is meant as a baby switch circuit?
That was my thought as I read thru the posts, but I am not familiar with the term at all.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Searched the net and came across two wildly different references about a baby switch circuit.
1. Was a methed to get the baby to turn head down for birthing.
2. It was a small knife switch (15Amp or less) used for lights and motor controls. Seems it came in 1 or 2 poles. Early 1900s reference.

Not sure what the book OP was reading but would gander a guess that the reference was to option 2. Seems the circuit could be like a typical lighting circuit with a toggle.
Might be an interesting read, but don't rely on it to teach you electrical. Many views as to how electricity works and safety has changed since then.

rick711

Thanks, for the help, if I find somewhere else in the book that tells me, I will write what the book was talking about. Thank all of you again.

rick711

There is one diagram that shows an outlet being controlled by a snap switch (light wall switch) and it refers to this a "Baby circuit" if I had a way to scan it or upload a pitcher of it I will in the future. Anyway, apparently a "baby circuit" is a wall switch that turns a wall outlet on and off. ???????????

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
apparently a "baby circuit" is a wall switch that turns a wall outlet on and off.
we simply call that a 1/2 hot receptacle these days, or use too .. lucky baby though .. whew .. those weren't even arc fault back then.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There is one diagram that shows an outlet being controlled by a snap switch (light wall switch) and it refers to this a "Baby circuit" if I had a way to scan it or upload a pitcher of it I will in the future. Anyway, apparently a "baby circuit" is a wall switch that turns a wall outlet on and off. ???????????
Maybe it's referring to a switched single outlet.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Looks like the term might have multiple meanings based on context then.
My first thought was a switch within 1' of the floor. :giggle:
My Dads 2nd wife was wheelchair bound and he built their house, so all of the switches were deliberately lower than normal. When my son was just learning to walk we visited and he had a field day flipping lights on and off because he could reach all of the switches. Fun times…

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My son immediately learned how to defeat every child safety latch we put on our kitchen drawers and cabinets.

Status
Not open for further replies.