Need help to determine 8awg from 6awg XHHW AL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m working on a job and can’t see the wire labeling inside the wall, only the individual wires with the sheathing stripped back. I’m trying to determine whether it’s 8 or 6 awg. Is there a way to measure it. There’s 7 strands, but I believe both sizes have 7 strands. From what I’ve read the outer diameter is only about 1/32nds difference, no?

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you cannot measure it with something like a micrometer get a scrap piece of each size and compare it to what you have.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
Checked the outter insulation diameter to be about .28-.29”. I’m assuming this is 6awg, but I can’t figure out why they installed 6awg and used a 30A breaker? This is for a larger 4 ton AC unit, I can’t imagine a 10 SEER 4 ton unit had a max fuse of 30.
They had some minor additions and the system never keeps up so we’re going back with a 5 ton with min amp of 37A, max fuse 60A. So, I guess Im good even with 8awg, but I’d be more comfortable knowing it was 6awg.

Was it common practice to oversized the conductor to an AC unit disconnect from the panel in the late 1980’s.
I know these days they only run the minimum conductor size per min amp rating of the equipment.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
HVACR Breakers

HVACR Breakers

Checked the outter insulation diameter to be about .28-.29”. I’m assuming this is 6awg, but I can’t figure out why they installed 6awg and used a 30A breaker? This is for a larger 4 ton AC unit, I can’t imagine a 10 SEER 4 ton unit had a max fuse of 30.
They had some minor additions and the system never keeps up so we’re going back with a 5 ton with min amp of 37A, max fuse 60A. So, I guess Im good even with 8awg, but I’d be more comfortable knowing it was 6awg.

Was it common practice to oversized the conductor to an AC unit disconnect from the panel in the late 1980’s.
I know these days they only run the minimum conductor size per min amp rating of the equipment.

You need the MAX Breaker size for a single phase condensing unit. Especially one without start gear.

kwired

Electron manager
keep in mind compact conductors will have smaller diameter than non compact conductor of same AWG.

Don't know if I have ever seen 8 AWG aluminum, strands would be getting pretty small (for aluminum) if stranded. Pretty sure I never seen 10 AWG aluminum in anything but solid conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.