Need help with failed insulation testing results

diebog

Occupation
Electrician
Hi all, my name is Jeremy. I have some questions about what is considered a fail when it comes to insulation testing. Our company was asked to do some testing on the insulation of the feeders that supply a privately owned eye surgery center O.R. room. We have the Fluke 1587 FC (which I highly recommend its such an awesome meter), so we tested the feeders 1 minute @1,050v phase to phase, phase to ground and phase to neutral on 5 separate sub panels ( 3 phase 208) and all feeders on these 5 panels shot up to 2.2GΩ within seconds, so all passed with flying colors. We go to test the main 400 amp feeders that route from the generator backup transfer switch (in the P.G.E utility room) to the main distribution panel (at other end of the building) During our testing, phase to ground, Phase A comes in at 2.2GΩ, Phase C at 2.2GΩ, but here is the kicker, phase B starts very low and after a minute the reading only goes up to 127MΩ. Now this test was phase to ground, but when testing Phase B to the other phases and Phase B to neutral the reading is normal and quickly goes up to 2.2GΩ. The issue is only Phase B to ground.

The feeder in question is 500mcm copper, about 150ft long (rough guess). This wire is rated at 600v and we are testing for 1 minute @ 1,050v. From what I understand a min reading is 100MΩ for 600v rated wire. So just barely up at 127MΩ, is that a Pass or Fail? Ive never seen a reading on feeders so different from one another. Because Phase B is so much lower, I was thinking maybe there is a small nick in the insulation somewhere to cause the irregular reading. But is the reading low enough to warrant replacement? From what I understand this facility has never had the wire insulation test done and its been there sense the 2000's.

I appreciate all your help. Thanks

Jeremy

diebog

Occupation
Electrician
I totally forgot to mention for all our tests we did remove both ends of the wires off the breaker/lugs so all the feeders were completely isolated at both ends with this low reading.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Probably water in the UG raceway. If the insulation is THHW/N it’s easy to nick, the water will cause you low reading
Are you sure it’s buried EMT?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Did you clean the jacket of the cable for a few inches from the bare conductor? I have see wire pulling lubricant residue do something like this if the jacket has not been wiped clean.

diebog

Occupation
Electrician
So the cables were totally clean and dry. No sign of lubricant or even nolox. These feeders have been there for 20 years or so. But thanks for the suggestion