Need info on electrical codes,symbols and standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travi

Hello Forum,
I need help with finding good infomation with electrical symbols,codes and standards.

I have a back ground in architectural drafting. I've recently been hired to do electrical drafting for a solar energy company.
I would like to get some infomation on the different types of electrical symbols and drawing standards so I can get a better understanding on how to read the electrical blue prints. I feel that the more I learn and become self efficient with my surrounds the better I can be to my team.
So if you guys know Where I can get reference material regarding electrical drawing codes,symbols and standards it would be will appreciated.

Thank you.

Besoeker

How does one sucessfully do "electrical drafting" if they don't know electrical?
I suppose if the draftsman gets sketches from an engineer, maybe?
We had one guy who had next to no electrical knowledge. Now and again, I'd give him marked up drawings from customers to modify.
But, TBH, he really wasn't very good. I'd get the drawings back electronically. In huge files. Seems he didn't know about the "purge" command.
And a tendency to interpret what he was given rather than just take it as intended.
A lot of people thought highly of his work because, when printed out, they looked good.
But not so highly of him.
He was a garrulous old blighter with an opinion on everything and a grudge against everyone.
A combination of the epitome of grumpy old men and the F1 champion motormouth.

Other than that, a nice enough fellow.
:D

Travi

I'm new to this so go easy on me goodfellas.

I'm new to this so go easy on me goodfellas.

[Just wanted to get a little info. Trying to continue learning to get better. That's all! ]Hello Forum,
I need help with finding good infomation with electrical symbols,codes and standards.

I have a back ground in architectural drafting. I've recently been hired to do electrical drafting for a solar energy company.
I would like to get some infomation on the different types of electrical symbols and drawing standards so I can get a better understanding on how to read the electrical blue prints. I feel that the more I learn and become self efficient with my surrounds the better I can be to my team.
So if you guys know Where I can get reference material regarding electrical drawing codes,symbols and standards it would be will appreciated.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

BillK-AZ

You should get familiar with the National Electrical Code (NEC) and especially Article 690.

Ask to see an assortment of the various sheets of drawings for past projects. Often a project starts with updating a previous design. Often, the serving utility and local building permit office (names vary) will have specific requirements. A typical project will require a drawing set with sheets for Location, Site Plan, One-line wiring, and three-line wiring diagrams. Details of structure and attachment may be required. Try to think of all the items the plan reviewer will need to approve the plans, and that the installer will have to know to properly install the system.

Review this document:
http://www.nmsu.edu/~tdi/Photovoltaics/Codes-Stds/PVnecSugPract.html

Do not take it upon yourself to specify any electrical parameters such as wire size, fuses, etc. as these need to be determined by trained personnel.

kwired

Electron manager
Do not take it upon yourself to specify any electrical parameters such as wire size, fuses, etc. as these need to be determined by trained personnel.

It takes a trained person to specify many other things also. Lets start with GFCI, AFCI, Type of enclosures (N1, N3R, N4, N12, etc), minimum burial depth, minimum overhead clearance for open conductors, and others.

110.26 is one that can easily be violated in the OP's drawings quite often if he does not fully understand it.

Marvin_Hamon

If you are new to the company the first thing you should do is familiarize yourself with what they are doing now. About the worst thing you can do is come in and start doing drawings that look completely different from what people have been doing. Once you get up to speed on their way of doing it then you can start making suggestions on how to change the drafting standards, and hopefully they have drafting standards. I have worked with large solar companies that let each of their designers set their own standards and all the drawings look different. Luckily they have put together a drafting standard and made people use it.

Their are electrical component libraries you can buy for AutoCAD from folks who have made up blocks. They can be really handy. A lot of solar equipment is not covered and people just usually roll their own inverter, DC combiner, and related BOS objects. If you can look over the drawings from several different companies it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.