need quick answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin

I am in centrsl florida and as we all know we have had some elec. problems due to Charlie. well here's the scenario. a commercial building with a 3 ph service has lost it's C phase. in turn there AC is not working , among other things. they were told by a local electrician that he would bring his generator over and tie one leg from the generator to the C phase of the system so the AC would work. I'm thinking that this will not work and could be costly for both parties. My inderstanding is the phases Must be 120 deg. out of phase from each other on order for the equipment to work properly and for the system to remain safe. i have been asked to return a call regarding if this will work or not so a quick response would be much appreciated.

[ August 20, 2004, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: justin ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: need quick answer!

You must have a complete circuit for current to flow...a single conductor from a generator is not a complete circuit.
Don

justin

so say if he were to tie in a grounded conductor would it work then or is it just not possible to do what he wants to do? I am trying to understand if it will work using a generator to feed only the c phase and if not, why, thanks.

luke warmwater

justin,
basically, it won't work. Tell them it is a waste of time, their money, and is potentially dangerous if they even attempt it.

justin

according to everything i know the voltage would have to return to it's source so i really can't see how he could do that, and if the power co were to repair the lost phase there would be even bigger trouble.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by justin: according to everything i know the voltage would have to return to it's source so i really can't see how he could do that, and if the power co were to repair the lost phase there would be even bigger trouble.
You understand it perfectly. This is so dangerous that I have to admit I thought you were joking. But it?s no joke. What I don?t get is why he didn?t just offer to disconnect the A/C from its source, and connect all three phases of the A/C to his generator.

By the way, just so nobody gives a bad rap to myself or to a certain one of the other moderators, the hurricane?s name was ?Charley.? Please note the spelling. There is a female engineer in my office named ?Daniela,? who would like to avoid a similar bad rap by asking the world to take note of the spelling of the next hurricane, ?Danielle.?

bnewport

You use that term "electrician" rather loosely.... anyone who tried to do something as crazy as that should not be in the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.