Need some help with a 10 foot tap rule question

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 1200 ampere, copper THW main service has a 150 ampcalculated load added to a system . A tap will be made to feed this load. Thetap conductors will be 6 feet long and the tap will be done within the servicemetal enclosure. Following the NEC requirements for taps, the MINIMUM THW wiresize will be ?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Sounds like a study question, give us your answer and how you arrived at it then we can help you.

Roger

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A 1200 ampere, copper THW main service has a 150 ampcalculated load added to a system . A tap will be made to feed this load. Thetap conductors will be 6 feet long and the tap will be done within the servicemetal enclosure. Following the NEC requirements for taps, the MINIMUM THW wiresize will be ?

Are they tapping the service conductors?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I seem to recall that in some cases the tap conductors have to be fully enclosed in one enclosure to meet the 10-foot rule. the other thing is it seems to me that I recall the rules are slightly different for field Taps as opposed to factory taps.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I'm confused here. I took the OP to mean he was tapping service conductors where the tap rules don't even apply. Of course the connectors would have to be suitable, etc but not tap rules.
Am I missing somethig here?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm confused here. I took the OP to mean he was tapping service conductors where the tap rules don't even apply. Of course the connectors would have to be suitable, etc but not tap rules.
Am I missing somethig here?

Sounds like SEC's but it's somewhat unclear. One point I was making is that in this case with SEC's or with the 10' tap rule the conductors would be the same size since they're leaving the enclosure.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, it does matter. The rules in 240.21(B) do not apply to "tap" connections made to service conductors. The only rule for the service tap is that they are sized to the load.

Which is why in this case it doesn't matter. Load 150 amps, 10% tap rule 1200*10%=120 amps so the minimum conductor size is 150 amps whether it's a tap or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.