Need to have qualified/registered engineers in manufacturing place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

m.rog

As a manufacturer of electrical and mechanical equipment for use in hazardous area our quality system and processes are very stringed. On one question I have for already some time I do not get a good answer.
Do we need to have a qualified and/or registered engineer who is checking and signing-off each individual system for compliance with FM, NEC and or other certification schemes.
Is there any mandatory law or regulation known in a certain state?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am not sure I understand the question. What exactly would you be expecting the Registered Professional Engineer to be certifying? The equipment? The installation?

I will say, in case it might help, that the seal and signature of a PE does not certify compliance with any code, standard, or quality requirements. Of course, I would be hesitant to sign something without first verifying, to my own satisfaction, that the design is correct and appropriate for the intended use, and that it complies with all applicable codes. That is not what we mean, when we sign a document. All we are saying, by sealing and signing a document, is that ?This work was done by me, or under my supervision.? In a practical sense, what this translates into is, ?If anything goes wrong, knock on my door first.?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
m.rog said:
As a manufacturer of electrical and mechanical equipment for use in hazardous area our quality system and processes are very stringed. On one question I have for already some time I do not get a good answer.
Do we need to have a qualified and/or registered engineer who is checking and signing-off each individual system for compliance with FM, NEC and or other certification schemes.
Is there any mandatory law or regulation known in a certain state?
Your stilted phrasing makes me think you might be from outside the US. If that is the case, my suggestion would be that you indeed get someone who is competent to look over the designs of these things, as the US standards are substantially different. I don't think it necessarily needs to be a registered PE or not. It would kind of depend on just what it is you are selling, put probably a general PE is not the best choice. The person chosen might well turn out to be a PE, but the important thing is he has a clue. Not all PEs have expertise or experience in designing equipment, or even in classified areas.

In most cases there are no US or state requirements that individual pieces of equipment themselves be signed off at all. In many places (and the number is growing) UL listed control panels are all but required. UL has a special listing for control panels for use in hazardous areas.

I would point out that some of the issues associated with putting equipment in hazardous areas are sometimes not real clear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.