Need to traverse marble floor by cutting 10 feet trench

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
The whole intent was to create display dase lighting. I think I will custom build a battery harness for a drill battery and drive some led tape lights cheaper, less diseuptiveand better light

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
The whole intent was to create display dase lighting. I think I will custom build a battery harness for a drill battery and drive some led tape lights cheaper, less diseuptiveand better light

if you are serious about that, the battery that will give the best run time is
a 3.0 AH 12 volt festool lithium battery. there is a guy on here
who used one of those and the motor from a festool drill to make a wireless
servomotor for some custom furniture.

they also have batteries in 18 volt, but then you'd need some circuitry to get
the voltage where you want it to be.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I agree with using PVC.

Experience has taught me that the worst part of this job is cleaning up the dust storm that will be created by saw cutting. Contrary to what some will say, water on the blade will NOT stop dust from going everywhere. Either build a containment room with plastic drop-cloths or hire an army of cleaning ladies.

Rent a walk behind, build the containment, cut the trench, lay the pipe(with stubs), backfill with grout (leave a quarter inch or so for the tile man to float his floor).

You can do this overnight with a helper. Use velvet ropes or other barricade until the following night when the tile man can finish.

This. Concrete dust will play havoc with electronic equipment if it gets on PCB's. When the humidity goes up, it will conduct. Once I had to dismantle a couple of computers and bathe the motherboards in alcohol to get them working again because of concrete dust.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...Contrary to what some will say, water on the blade will NOT stop dust from going everywhere. ...
I agree that just a liitle water on blade will not stop the dust.

However, dust creation can be mitigated if not completely eliminated using water as your best friend. First, and foremost key is saturating the concrete with water as much as possible before cutting. Note, just after pouring water on top does not do it. It takes time to saturate it. Second, while cutting, keep the cut nearly full of water. Protect for incidental spray from the blade, which I believe is the main reason why many just try to put a trickle of water on the blade. A trickle is fine as long as you keep the cut nearly full of water. If properly "irrigated" for a dust-free operation, best have wet vac on hand.

Last edited:

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
my lighting guy just came thru for me
mount the led driver at the 10 foot wall and run the low voltage wire in the grout crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.