NEMA 14-50 male plug recommendations

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
A client wants to use their 8kW generator to power a critical loads panel if the power goes down. That part's easy. He's not happy, however with the "plugability" of the male NEMA 14-50 plug that connects to the generator. The last guy built him a cable with a "standard" range-type plug and it's hard to grasp to unplug. He's older, and has arthritis.

Thoughts on a plug like this:

I'm slightly wary of buying electrical parts from Aamzon, but this appears to carry an ETL listing.

Also looking for recommendations for a plug with better strain relief (it such a critter exists).

Thanks,

SceneryDriver

Todd0x1

this Marinco one is pretty decent

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
I don't think the amazon one is listed. A lot of products have been putting the Intertek ETL listed sticker and a random number. I couldn't find anything on their site for the product.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
this Marinco one is pretty decent
I like it. Now... how to buy one. Their website is useless for locating someone who will sell one.

EDIT:
Never mind - I found a dealer:

SceneryDriver

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
What 8KW generator has a 14-50 receptacle? All of the generators I've ever seen under 10K have an L14-30.

Why not just buy a ready made cable of appropriate length and chop the female end off? I've never been impressed with the qualify of any replacement 14-50 plugs.

Todd0x1

What 8KW generator has a 14-50 receptacle? All of the generators I've ever seen under 10K have an L14-30.

Why not just buy a ready made cable of appropriate length and chop the female end off? I've never been impressed with the qualify of any replacement 14-50 plugs.
if you look at how the molded premade cables are made, a quality assembly plug is way better.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I would go with a twist-lock connector, the blades are easier to remove after unlocking, because they lock, so they don't have to rely on the blade pressure to do that too.

That RV plug is nice though, it's available from RVEParts.com, for less than on Amazonk...

SceneryDriver

Occupation

Firman HO7533. It's a dual-fuel (gas or propane). It claims 9400W start/surge, and 7500W run on gas. Slightly lower on propane.

I took a photo this afternoon to make sure, and it is indeed a 14-50 receptacle. Clearly not using it to full ampacity (9400W = 39A) but still more than 30A.

It also has a L15-30 twistlock, L5-30 twistlock, as well as a GFCI duplex receptacle. Electric start too. Nice little unit.

SceneryDriver

Todd0x1

I like that the rated voltage is "2.5E+2 Volts" 🤣

Firman HO7533. It's a dual-fuel (gas or propane). It claims 9400W start/surge, and 7500W run on gas. Slightly lower on propane.

I took a photo this afternoon to make sure, and it is indeed a 14-50 receptacle. Clearly not using it to full ampacity (9400W = 39A) but still more than 30A.

It also has a L15-30 twistlock, L5-30 twistlock, as well as a GFCI duplex receptacle. Electric start too. Nice little unit.

SceneryDriver
L14-30 not L15 right?