Nema 15p and Nema 20R

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have equipment spec sheet in commercial kitchen that calls for Nema 15P. Instead on plans provided duplex Nema 5-20R with dedicated homerun to panelboard with 20A breaker. Would the install be not incompliqnce with anything in NEC 2017 ?

Last edited:

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I don't see a problem- a 15P (plug, on the equipment) will mate with a 20R (receptacle) and that's allowed. Better question is whether the equipment requires a 15 amp breaker.

Would it require 20A breaker or 15A? Its confusing 210.21(b)(1) says 20A but equipment spec if 15P is installed would be 15A breaker?
But then plans show duplex nema 20R receptacle so 20A breaker would be ok per 210.21(B)(3)???

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Would it require 20A breaker or 15A? Its confusing 210.21(b)(1) says 20A but equipment spec if 15P is installed would be 15A breaker?
But then plans show duplex nema 20R receptacle so 20A breaker would be ok per 210.21(B)(3)???
Either. I don't know if any standard cord and plug equipment that can be used only on a 15 amp circuit and not on a 20. If that was the case we wouldn't have T-slot 20 amp receptacles.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Ok but I am still confused about following:

I have equipment manufacturer instruction that calls for 120V single phase Nema 15R commercial kitchen. The equipment is cord and plug with nema 15P. However duplex receptacle Nema 20R is provided with branch circuit breaker of 20A

I am wondering would the branch circuit breaker for the duplex receptacle be 15A or 20A? Which one? Should branch circuit breaker be changed to 15A?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Jumping on the bandwagon here.

5-15P plugs will mate with 5-15R or 5-20R receptacles.

Code permits a 5-15R receptacle to be installed as part of a 20A branch circuit with multiple outlets.

Product standards for devices with 5-15P plugs expect either a 15 or 20A branch circuit unless the product manual specifically states otherwise.

So the OP is fine with a 20A branch circuit, a 5-20R or a 5-15R duplex receptacle, and a 5-15P plug on the appliance.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.