Nema 4 outlet box

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcorbin

I have a spec which calls for rigid conduit, aluminum is not allowed., and then it calls for nema 4 cast metal type outlet boxes and conduit fittings see spec below
2.02 OUTLET BOXES
A. Outlet boxes for concealed work shall be zinc-coated or cadmium-plated sheet steel boxes
suitable for the service and type outlet (device) installed. Outlet boxes and conduit fittings for
outdoor work and exposed interior work shall be NEMA 4 cast-metal type with threaded hubs for
conduit entrance. Boxes and conduit fittings for outdoor work shall have gasketed cover plates.
Plastic boxes and cast "white metal" boxes classified as NEMA 4 will not be acceptable.
B. All outlet boxes used for supporting fixtures shall be furnished with malleable iron fixture
studs of "no-bolt" type secured by locknut.
C. All boxes, whether outlet, junction, pull, or equipment, shall be furnished with appropriate
covers What is a nema 4 outlet box? or conduit fitting. Is the engineer referring to cast aluminum devise boxes or the malleable type. He goes on in paragraph B to indicate a malleable type box for fixure hanging. Big difference in price! I am not sure what a nema 4 outlet box is. Please advise Jody Corb

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I assume he is asking for this type of box, but not sure they are rated NEMA 4.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I assume he is asking for this type of box, but not sure they are rated NEMA 4.

Seems none of the manufacturers of FS and FD boxes will say. I suspect it depends on the cover. A blank FS cover will probably make the entire box NEMA 4 but a bubble cover won't.

Sounds like an RFI and submittal is in order.

-Hal

jcorbin

I agree, I will submit a RFI. I am bidding this job and do not want to price in a 180.00 for each box and cover unless every one does. Thanks for for responses and advice. jcorbin

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
RFP and RFQ are Request For Proposal and Quote respectively.
RFI is usually requesting clarification in response to one or the other.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.