NEMA I Switchboard to be relocated outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

marco25

Hi,

I don't know if this exists but is there a NEMA 3R enclosure you can use if you're relocating an indoor switchboard outdoors? Or would I have to replace the existing with a new NEMA 3R switchboard? I'm sure that there would be some UL listing issues but I'm just wondering if anyone has done this before.

Thanks!

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
marco25 said:
Hi,

I don't know if this exists but is there a NEMA 3R enclosure you can use if you're relocating an indoor switchboard outdoors? Or would I have to replace the existing with a new NEMA 3R switchboard? I'm sure that there would be some UL listing issues but I'm just wondering if anyone has done this before.

Thanks!

What about a garden shed from the local big box store. As long as you have the correct working clearances and access doors a building is a building. This is not a UL issue. UL deals with how things were built when they left the factory, not how things are used in the field. Field installations are up to the AHJ.

marco25

thanks jim. i have seen shed enclosed switchboards but they would still be in nema 3r enclosures. but yeah, you're right, as long the required clearances and clearances are met, it should fly.

Marco
I do not know which part of the country you may be from, but those cheap sheds do not offer much protection from the elements for switchgear or other electrical equipment.
If you are going to move the equipment outdoors, try to have some kind of heat, even if it is minimal. Weather, if there is no control of temperature can cause condensation to all of the surfaces of the equipment, which over a short period of time will basically destroy the equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.