NEMA rating Requirements for spaces protected by a NFPA 13 (Fire Sprinkler) Deluge System

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM2-Inc

When does the NEC require electrical enclosures to be NEMA 3R or NEMA 4 rated?

Would the installation of a fire sprinkler system force the requirement?

Pre-Action Sprinkler system are installed in Data Centers and they don't seem to require enclosures to be NEMA 3R rated?

DM2-Inc

texie / infinity,
That's what I'm seeing as well...I have an inspector that knows NEMA 250 and as a result is saying the enclosure have to be weatherproof. I'm telling him to show me where in the codes a sprinklered area change from a dry location to a wet or damp locations and now he's struggling for an answer...I just wanted to be prepared for a response. The standards associated with sprinkler systems (NFPA 13 and 750) make no mention of modifying the location type.

DM2-Inc

Retirede,
The cost to recharge a suppression system is roughly $20/cubic foot of protected space (not including labor). For large data centers this can have a significant impact especially if someone accidently discharges the system.

Some end users are apprehensive to to put pipe, filled with water or may be filled with water (pre-action) above their data centers. Others take into account the cost of equipment damaged by water and the replacement cost of that equipment as well as the "down time" cost. New construction often doesn't care about the the long term cost of ownership, unless the owner is intimately involved in the construction, and suppression systems are often considered a Capital Expenditure. For the building contractor, it's all about the initial cost of construction.

Small data centers often do have gaseous suppression systems, but industrial area (which is what this is) they will often have a water based system. I asked about data centers because this would likely be the only space where someone might have rules regarding the area changing from a Dry location to Damp or Wet location.

In any case, I have an inspector that needs to be educated/challenged on his decisions and so far he's failed to justify his requirement. Rather than arguing with him, I always play dumb and say "...well, isn't that interesting...to educate myself, can you tell me where this is written in the codes?"

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Retirede,
The cost to recharge a suppression system is roughly $20/cubic foot of protected space (not including labor). For large data centers this can have a significant impact especially if someone accidently discharges the system.

Some end users are apprehensive to to put pipe, filled with water or may be filled with water (pre-action) above their data centers. Others take into account the cost of equipment damaged by water and the replacement cost of that equipment as well as the "down time" cost. New construction often doesn't care about the the long term cost of ownership, unless the owner is intimately involved in the construction, and suppression systems are often considered a Capital Expenditure. For the building contractor, it's all about the initial cost of construction.

Small data centers often do have gaseous suppression systems, but industrial area (which is what this is) they will often have a water based system. I asked about data centers because this would likely be the only space where someone might have rules regarding the area changing from a Dry location to Damp or Wet location.

In any case, I have an inspector that needs to be educated/challenged on his decisions and so far he's failed to justify his requirement. Rather than arguing with him, I always play dumb and say "...well, isn't that interesting...to educate myself, can you tell me where this is written in the codes?"
Depending on the jurisdiction, you can often use a clean agent system in lieu of sprinkler coverage to mitigate potential equipment damage in the event of a fire in the data center. Some AHJ's want a sprinkler system as well as the clean agent. Their argument is that the clean agent system is a one-shot deal, especially if the fire originates outside the clean agent protected area. Once the fire penetrates the data center, there is no protection for the structure, which is the real purpose of sprinklers. Hence, the use of preaction systems, often with double interlock, in data centers. Most especially if they are a significant percentage of the total building area.

Status
Not open for further replies.