NEMA type 1 vs NEMA type 3R in Sqare D (Homeline family

Status
Not open for further replies.

karwas

Hello,

I am new active member to this forum, but I have had spent here some time reading
many posts with valuable feedback from many knowledgeable members.

With the current project I am involved with I have a following dilemma:
(First, please let's assume that we can use only Square D Homeline brand,
which for many reason is the actual case here)

In order to provide simpler termination of ROMEX cables used in branch circuits
I would like to use flush mounted load center instead of surface mounted.
The problem which I have is that I don't see any Homeline load centers
which are rainproof (NEMA 3R) and are possible to be flush mounted.
Using load center rated as NEMA type 1 will be an obvious violation of 312.2

Alternative is to use rainproof load center which will be flat mounted on the wall,
but all models I see have only 2 large knock-outs on the back, and as far
as I understand, it is a violation of 312.5(C) to use single 2" halex clamp connector
to secure several (~10) #14 or #12 romex cables.

Is my interpretation of the code reasonable? Is there any obvious solution
I am missing from my sight?

Please advise.

Thanks
Przemek

PS. In many similar houses in the area, due to relatively large overhang of the roof,
it is common to see flush mounted panels, which I don't believe are NEMA type 3R,
but I can be mistaken.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
No such thing as a flush mounted NEMA 3R load center that I am aware of, or anything else for that matter. There are aspects of Type 3R listing and testing that I think preclude the entire concept. Just a couple of examples, there are more:

1. Type 3R means "Rain Tight": falling or WIND DRIVEN rain will not enter the enclosure and build up into any live electrical parts. That means it must have a "weep hole" in the bottom to allow any water that gets in, to drain back out and not build up. If the box is flush mounted, that would be allowing the water to drain INTO the wall space! The only exception is if you use a type CLEARLY MARKED as intended to be embedded in concrete, as in SOLID concrete, not just a stucco shell.
  2. Knockouts for 3R boxes cannot be above the lowest possible live terminal, unless designed to be used with a threaded hub. How are you going to deal with a threaded hub when it is inside of the wall?

If someone used NEMA 1 flush mount because it is under an eave, it must be one heck of an overhang, because "Outdoor" ratings also require salt spray testing for corrosion, Type 1 does not. So an AHJ must have been convinced that the under-eave area was not "outdoors".

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
This is a type of enclosure, that looks part way between a 1 and a 3R, it is often called a semi-flush mounting. A NEMA 3R enclosure is provided with a 'special' drip shield, or flange, that allows the enclosure to be flush mounted up to the depth of the cover hinge. It is commonly found on 'meter-main' products.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You are correct in that the use of a connector in the back may not be compliant. There are some 2" nm connectors that will take multip[le cables but they generally must be the same size cables.

In NC it is a common install to put a 2" pvc coupling with a box adapter and just sleeve the cables into the panel... No it is not compliant but the alternative. IMO, is generally worse.

You can run a conduit out the back into a jb and make all your connections there. I would not install a recessed panel on the exterior but would just mount the box on the siding. This would help if you ever need to come out of the box again.

Status
Not open for further replies.