Network box cord feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
I do not know if this is a code problem,the building has a few network boxes with cord plug feed. I need to power some new ones, if this is ok I would go the same way.

Attachments

• D0D979FA-90CC-429A-9CBE-634B3FD857D6.jpeg
    D0D979FA-90CC-429A-9CBE-634B3FD857D6.jpeg
    607.5 KB · Views: 50

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You're welcome.

To expand, hard-wiring would be more of a concern. The NEC theoretically stops at the receptacle.

I would not consider this an example of a cord being used in lieu of a permanent wiring method.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So devil's advocate here..... Under what code section would you see that as allowed? 400.7(A)(8)?
Lemme take a look.

I'm back. My '17 doesn't even have a 400.7.

I have a 400.10 (uses permitted) and a 400.12 (uses not permitted).

What do you see as prohibiting it?

Last edited:
Lemme take a look.

I'm back. My '17 doesn't even have a 400.7.

I have a 400.10 (uses permitted) and a 400.12 (uses not permitted).

Sorry, old code reference.....just looking at uses permitted and not permitted, 400.10 and 12.... Seems like we have to find something in 400.10 uses permitted that makes this acceptable. 400.10(A) 6,7,8 all seem like a stretch to me for this application.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
To repeat myself:

The only objection I can imagine, and it's really nitpicking, is 412(4), the use of the 1/2" 1-hole strap.

Do you have a reason the believe the enclosure needs to be supplied by a hard-wired method?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Larry, can you reread post #7. What do you see applying under "uses permitted"?
Okay, I'm with you. I'm not sure why this use of a cord would fall under NEC jurisdiction at all.

Is it because the enclosure is attached to the wall? Does the NEC cover every cord in every use?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Doesn't the answer depend on what's inside the cabinet? E.g. if the cord is the end of a power strip inside the cabinet, supplying various network equipment, how is that a problem? Vs a device box mounted inside the cabinet, with a regular receptacle in it, maybe the cord is an issue.

Cheers, Wayne

Okay, I'm with you. I'm not sure why this use of a cord would fall under NEC jurisdiction at all.

Is it because the enclosure is attached to the wall? Does the NEC cover every cord in every use?
Doesn't the answer depend on what's inside the cabinet? E.g. if the cord is the end of a power strip inside the cabinet, supplying various network equipment, how is that a problem? Vs a device box mounted inside the cabinet, with a regular receptacle in it, maybe the cord is an issue.

Cheers, Wayne
Here is my take:. I don't see any reason why the NEC wouldn't apply to this. IMO, the only time it wouldn't would be a factory installed cord on a piece of (probably listed) equipment. I'm sure we remember Mike holt's argument that power cords on factory equipment are listed items under power cord sets or something like that so they not covered by the NEC. I suppose there are a few gray areas like if I replace say a damaged factory cord with an article 400 cord and a cord cap, then what?

If that was a factory cord on say a wifi router, I would say no NEC. But that is clearly not a factory cord, so unless possibly that was a repair as I mentioned in the previous paragraph, seems to me the NEC would apply.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician

Cheers, Wayne
This one in the first picture is hard wired, I was asked to add strain relief to another network box that has power strip and plugs, What would you recommend in this case?

Attachments

• IMG_4543.JPG
    IMG_4543.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4544.JPG
    IMG_4544.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 24

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Line cords are not permitted to be attached to the wall, ceiling or back board. Don't ask me where it says that I'll let you look for it. (Start with power strips.) Been that way for 40 years since I've been installing equipment. Just let it hang and plug into the receptacle. If it's too long, loop it up neatly with a ty-rap around it.

-Hal

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If that was a factory cord on say a wifi router, I would say no NEC. But that is clearly not a factory cord, so unless possibly that was a repair as I mentioned in the previous paragraph, seems to me the NEC would apply.
Are you saying that one is never allowed to make any kind of assembly and attach a power cord to it?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sure you can, but IMO then it would fall under the NEC, and be subject to the provisions of article 400, such as the "not used for permanent wiring" and uses permitted sections.
Then I'm circling back to still not seeing the OP's application as a substitute for permanent wiring.

Is there a reason the cabinet's power source should not be unplug-able?

Suppose the exact same cabinet and its contents were just sitting on the floor, not attached to the wall.

What permanent wiring method would be suitable for a movable cabinet?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I agree that the NEC extends well beyond the receptacle outlet. A construction electricians 'scope of work' ends at the receptacle and thus the confusion. A service, industrial facilities, stage or maintenance electrician does deal with NEC covered stuff well beyond the receptacle.
I have seen 200A 480V three phase receptacles, that power cord connected transformer distribution skids for example.
See 90.2 and 90.4

Status
Not open for further replies.