Network Switch Under Raised Access Floor (Article 400.6 and 400.7)

Thomas7399

New User
Occupation
IT
Hey all,

I have an application where we want to put a network switch under a raised access floor to feed cubicles right above. My concern is with the flexible cord to power the network switch --- I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to do this while still remaining compliant, especially as it pertains to article 400.6. Please let me know your thoughts.

For those wondering, placing the switch in an accessible space and then running the UTP underfloor is not an option in our particular scenario.

TIA

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Don't see how 400.6 applies (most appliance cords of one of those listed types), but perhaps 400.8(5) Uses not permitted - Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings

Our fire guys would have a cow if electrical equipment was under the floor. Less so if the floor had smoke detection and fire suppression, but I think it still violates the NEC regardless of fire detection/suppression measures. Is this underfloor area an air handling space? That would make it even worse.

A solution may be to find a network switch that uses an above floor wall wart for power (CL2), and feed that CL2 cable under the floor to power the switch. Even the bigger switches are available in 48VDC versions, but they may exceed the CL2 power threshold.