Neutral 108v

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCCI

I was installing a lighting fixture and found 108 volts on a neutral wire. I traced it down to a GFCI recp. I took out the GFCI recp. and the 108 volts on the lighting fixture is now gone. Has anyone seen this with at GFCI recp? Or do you think that a problem may still exist?
The GFCI was also wired with two wires on the HOT (LINE) and two wires on the neutral (LINE) Just one circuit but feeding on to the next GFCI recp. (From the LINE screws not the LOAD)

ultramegabob

It sounds to me like you have a loose neutral somewhere on that circuit and you are getting voltage fed back through a load on that circuit, the lower voltage is probly due to being fed back through a device like a lightbulb or motor like on a fishtank or haircurler thats plugged in.

IMM_Doctor

You have "sparked" my curiosity. (pun intended)

It appears you are using a high impedance digital multi-meter as you state 108v. What was the 108 volts in reference to? (ground wire).

Maybe you have an open ground, or an open neutral. DMMs can show voltages when conductors are open due to the capacitance of the cunductor is sufficient to pass enough AC to give readings on a DMM.

You may want to use a low impedance solenoid style tester, such as a "wiggy". And/or also seek a known good ground in the area for your voltage reference test. You can also test for potential voltage difference betwwen the known good ground, and the ground at the fixture. (sometimes spooling off some temporary wire across the floor to a good ground source)

Was the GFCI receptacle tripped open?

If you removed the GFCI receptacle, what was it's installed purpose in the first place.

peter d

I've actually used Marrettes a few times here. I don't have a clue where the came from. I'm just going to have to assume that someone smuggled them across the border. ;)

I vaguely remember Grainger selling them too.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
Ranch said:
Are you working Friday? Did you take yesterday off?

I work with a Canadian import...he worked July 1 and is taking the 4th off...he appreciated my "happy Canada Day" salute so much he lent me his copy of "Strange Brew". Nice to share in Canada's cultural heritage ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.