Neutral and Ground in same busbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

@ned

Occupation
homeowner
ADCreHeJqp_kOnkV4iKd0GIJPtQjIOkxTGesQBM6Z5xA9550w43wFkJdn3Bk-2WWUPghSgaHpyYS0QK8BKfIJtlNLLVOL8HV-YnqTUPOodbyDdUF5KZXRL2GhcS51ZkOv42lYTRvtMP1-7vdkcKztPstjpYKQ2EW4UcTuNVLdTuGsPCX9JGs4lqduop6Pwdg8xA4XiAmIV-i0_3TdVbUdc5k29VwcaAeJnk8YYc9Pv1nzWTaNRo15SKdYV0gUeUTLVnh1I9JI72TudastbOaj2IAkHhdb4ls8ckOLJ1fLsSYoQebruwztu7ZvaDNHJXIWEFE_tQrL8QwjkSyL6UNbKl5mEyF-M0foOJ1OCI03RVzQZcIVQVjHP-u9HDsDn6joUjI55ylBVCjiXXOGC0AIk7SaNqIUIpKVva6dx4snnnz626b_27elHk18oyHKnv4Yb98wd50NMkdNYVPngNaAcgYkBHcwEeYs84tCY4MQi89GM_PGCCxcJh1iUeyFLaFpoCSBa7EmpTUqd4pUd6PX5tbHuJGAVj3Zk2SAsmG7PCcsMY8ZAnUQV4VdCWvBup-B2QVNLKToMf-OE7YiXKRTF_J6A85QE0-o9U1EzAY3yEps3DF2A8JUR_MGhRddi_F8fb4fH8prfsElO8EcsEf-1qUDhjWB0xF52_ip8LjMPqjnhKeJ0vlQaukqVvy_iCKgRces-OIv-KkDxgdLgw5nnekf-misQ9s63phFnPoMTow0HCyxIwfszP_3S4YlHJJm9YlNLEWRuj11VZrT1QJG7YxB56itMxNNBLkoIXcrLJeUVPL_IwW8CYz7UUz821fqGOxLfl0xb8oKb3MFeqbKxIW00kniw2IdWJit7mcUX5zwDmqSESJKAfSFXjung1J-AotdFq9bK2LEk7u_UOlyzd_qlsDEZf8bQ37mDJfPF7j6y5iOM-eEBVpGx2O2m8K3w=w951-h714-s-no

I think y electrician is not so great, or he is trying to make work. But I am not sure. THis is a picture of my main electrical panel. In the top right side there are grounds and neutrals on the same buss bar. Is this ok?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Image doesn't open for me however EGC's and neutrals can be on the same bar in the main service enclosure.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is a main lug panel with a 4 wire feeder, including an EG which appears properly installed.

Unless it is a main panel without a main breaker then the neutral and grounds are fine together but the panel would need a main breaker. In either case the panel install is noncompliant.

Now is the panel really installed sideways as shown or is it upright. Canada allows sideways but the IP address does not show Canada

1696437807861.png

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Unless it is a main panel without a main breaker then the neutral and grounds are fine together but the panel would need a main breaker. In either case the panel install is noncompliant.

Now is the panel really installed sideways as shown or is it upright. Canada allows sideways but the IP address does not show Canada
In a related story...

For the solar company I last worked for, when Powerwalls, et al., came onto the scene we frequently had to convert a main panel into a sub panel behind a gateway, which meant we had to separate the ground and neutral conductors in the panel. Usually (and ideally), the grounds would be on one bar and the neutrals would be on the other so all we had to do was unbond the bars, but sometimes the N and G conductors would just be stuck willy-nilly into whichever bar that caught the installer's fancy. Those panels could be a PITA to convert.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yea, I don't know why these panels aren't all universally equipped with grounded and isolated bars on both sides.

Especially given how much these mostly just hunks of metal boxes cost these days :)

@ned

Occupation
homeowner
Hi guys... It sees I am wrong about this being the main panel. There is a single breaker in a box out by the electrical meter. I think that is considered the main panel and this becomes a sub panel. So I think I need to move the ground wires from the right side buss bar to the grounded buss bar!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Hi guys... It sees I am wrong about this being the main panel. There is a single breaker in a box out by the electrical meter. I think that is considered the main panel and this becomes a sub panel. So I think I need to move the ground wires from the right side buss bar to the grounded buss bar!
There's more to it than that. The two bars are physically tied together so they are still one bar. With that said the forum rules do not allow us to assist in DIY projects.

This site is designed for:

• Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
* This NEC� Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.