Neutral-Bonded Appliance & Consumer Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
1) In N. America 230v clothes dryers & electric ranges are sold with Neutral Bonded to frames, so if existing connections can’t separate neutral (White) from grounding (Green/Bare), one of two 115 volts legs for appliance timers & lights will energize neutral / frames / and bare hands.

Neutral-Bonded appliances, which normally energize frames & people, won’t cause electrocutions until; 1) A parallel path exists - bare hands frame to plumbing, or to concrete slab in garage, 2) Current flows for controls, less for digital controls & LED lights, and even less in parallel paths, and 3) 20+mA must travel thru the heart.

Before Amperage is high enough, or skin contact in series with plumbing or slab becomes the only path, controls or lights must short out, bulbs get damaged, or neutrals come loose anywhere between appliance and utility substation, which happens periodically. Further, the shock must usually be between two hands or hand and opposite foot, before current travels thru the heart.

Granted most people make contact in that manner, and while 120v is the most lethal by fatalities, getting zapped by 115 volts does not always cause heart fibrillation. It depends on timing, state of heart muscle, and letting go is possible, unlike higher voltages. Further survival of fibrillation events is possible with emergency defibrillators.

2) The safest options with 3-wire 230v Neutrals Bonded to appliance frames, will not be apparent to contractors accustomed to code minimums, who are only aware of 4-wire alternatives, which may require construction contracts.

Even though 6mA GFCI protection is several orders of magnitude safer, & 2-Pole GFCI's have been around for years, contractors won’t offer it unless required by code minimum. Ignorance is bliss, regardless if bonded neutral energizes appliance frames, or parallel paths.

Further, since gas hookups are common in domestic laundry rooms, a gas dryer may be in the consumer’s best interest. Home Centers accept returns, including the 230v electric dryer; therefore a Tamper-Resistant GFCI plug may be all that existing laundry needs. However, no contractor, much less employee would dare suggest losing money.

Regardless of gas appliances operating at lower cost, contractors don’t down sell a job to a simple GFCI outlet, after being dispatched for a 4-wire rough-in project. Neither do Master's expect rewards from clients they’ll never see again; much less expect any appreciation for such goodwill in the public domain. There is rarely any reward for such deeds.

3) Without incentive or reward who would consider the consumer’s best interests.

Perhaps the only time such drastic down selling is offered in the consumer’s best interest, is with experienced contractors deliberately avoiding new work & rough-in projects all together. Perhaps, wiser one-horse shows that keep busy with minor maintenance, are experienced enough to avoid construction, for simpler solutions, such as putting A/GFCI’s on multi-wire branch circuits, that Panel Flippers can’t figure out, without re-wiring construction.

In the age of GFCI reset-button safety, I would put Neutral-Bonded appliances and their energized frames in the same risk category as Pushmatic Bolt-on breakers, and 2-wire cables; easy pickings for construction contracts, or perhaps from a wiser horse, a pleasant surprise in the consumer’s best interest.

Last edited:

ramsy

Occupation
Is there a question or a point? Not being critical, just confused.

Thanks for asking Larry,

Do you agree with my description of Neutral-Bonded appliances energizing frames & hands, waiting for a path thru plumbing or concrete slabs, with shock potential for ventricular fibrillation.

For existing 3-Wire 230v appliances, if a safer GFCI and/or lower operating cost of gas dryer is in consumer's best interests, I don't expect EC Master shops to disclose this, or risk losing a 4-wire rough-in. I could be wrong, if another EC cares to explain.

MAC702

...therefore a Tamper-Resistant GFCI plug may be all that existing laundry needs...

In the age of GFCI reset-button safety, I would put Neutral-Bonded appliances and their energized frames in the same risk category as Pushmatic Bolt-on breakers, and 2-wire cables...

Why "tamper resistant" laundry receptacle? IMO, that actually makes your argument watered-down and less serious.

What are the actual loss-of-life, shocks, and property damage data for the millions of 3-wire laundry circuits, versus that data for Pushmatic breakers?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Do you agree with my description of Neutral-Bonded appliances energizing frames & hands, waiting for a path thru plumbing or concrete slabs, with shock potential for ventricular fibrillation.
If the neutral were to become open, yes; that's why the change to 4-wire circuits.

For existing 3-Wire 230v appliances, if a safer GFCI and/or lower operating cost of gas dryer is in consumer's best interests, I don't expect EC Master shops to disclose this, or risk losing a 4-wire rough-in. I could be wrong, if another EC cares to explain.
Won't affect operating cost at all.

Are you asking whether it's preferable to install a GFCI instead of replacing a 3-wire circuit with a 4-wire? In my opinion, no.

If you're asking whether it's a rip-off to a customer to replace a 3-wire circuit with a 4-wire instead of installing a GFCI, also no.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician

M.E.N. are allowed by code, so what's the dif here?

For existing 3-Wire 230v appliances, if a safer GFCI and/or lower operating cost of gas dryer is in consumer's best interests, I don't expect EC Master shops to disclose this, or risk losing a 4-wire rough-in. I could be wrong, if another EC cares to explain

depends on area

my turf, nuke plant is being decommisioned, no replacment, big wire from hyrdo quebec being built on down through areas that they're buying all the poco's up

the writting is on the wall

~RJ~

dkidd

Occupation
PE

No, The frames are not energized. They are connected to the neutral, and under normal conditions only have a potential voltage above ground equal to the voltage drop on the neutral conductor.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I am curious, how many have repaired compromised neutral connections at or before the Service Entrance?
Would a four wire dryer/range connection have changed the potential for shock at the appliance because of that neutral connection? Or any other appliance with a properly installed EG?

How many have been called for strictly a three wire range or dryer neutral problem?

Are you advocating the use of GFCI protection for three wire range and dryers?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I am curious, how many have repaired compromised neutral connections at or before the Service Entrance?
Would a four wire dryer/range connection have changed the potential for shock at the appliance because of that neutral connection? Or any other appliance with a properly installed EG?

A four wire connection certainly would eliminate the potential shock hazard if the service neutral were to be compromised. With a three wire connection the appliance cabinet would be at the same potential as the floating neutral, with as much as 120v to ground.

-Hal

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
A four wire connection certainly would eliminate the potential shock hazard if the service neutral were to be compromised. With a three wire connection the appliance cabinet would be at the same potential as the floating neutral, with as much as 120v to ground.

-Hal

The EGs will be raised to the same potential as the load side of the now open neutral.
You’ve lost the return path and they are now floating as well.

ramsy

Occupation
No, The frames are not energized. They are connected to the neutral, and under normal conditions only have a potential voltage above ground equal to the voltage drop on the neutral conductor.

Excellent distinction Sir, I believe you are correct, and just explained why Non-Contact Voltage Sensors & Tic Tracers don't detect Neutrals!

Would you agree, touching Neutral-Bonded frames still puts you in the path for parallel current flow @ common mode voltage (CMV) <2.0vac, at the mercy of neutrals that may come loose, to give you the full montey ~ 120vac in this case.

ramsy

Occupation
..Are you advocating the use of GFCI protection for three wire range and dryers?

When a gas line is already in place, a Tamper Resistant GFCI outlet for 120v gas dryer (in laundry or garage) is the down sell that could be offered, but is perhaps controversial.

2-Pole GFCI's for Neutral-Bonded appliances are also unheard of, but 2017 NFPA-70 210.8(B) "Other Than Dwellings" puts them everywhere.

In dwellings, re-modeler laborers that cut-off bare wires or leave them loose in J-boxes, among other things, may force 4-wire appliance rough-ins to avoid the remodel wiring mess.

Electrical construction contracts with building permits must often assume unforeseen complications, then must lose money fixing A/GFCI's that fail after remodels tampered with wiring. If a Panel Flipper's reset button wont hold, and the inspector wants it, then Flipper is force to go inside; to become the attic rat without respirator or headlamp, to become the furniture/appliance mover without dolly or gloves, to become the free laborer without pay, to access all wall boxes in search of wiring altered by renovations.

Lacking experience with problematic appliances, or circuit tracers, or junctions buried behind walls, and confused how muti-wire circuits break SQ-D AFCI's, the fuse box Flipper publishes his manifesto-conspiracy theory on corrupt regulators that sabotage him with AFCI's.

Perhaps its easier to pay attention to detail when you are properly paid. When there's no free estimate, and dispatch is covered before arrival, old-work & equipment can be investigated before recommendations are made. More informed decisions are possible, and consumers become more engaged in that process, than with contractors who don't want to investigate, or when its not practical during free estimates.

ramsy

Occupation

Estimating 20% of my Power-Failure dispatches are found outside the building, before reaching meters. About half of those are loose Neutrals (repaired by POCO / Utility lineman). Linemen also pull meters and check meter stabs on customer side, and will repair those while energized, since no disconnect is possible.

Granted, most service-entrance repairs are with remodels, and existing building services that are over 30yrs old, but I believe open neutrals are responsible for most over-voltage events in N. American wiring, regardless of occurring outside or inside. Remodel / renovation / Laborers / and DIY tampering often
results in open neutrals inside the building.

How many have been called for strictly a three wire range or dryer neutral problem?

The complaint is an entire building is out, or appliances smoked with 240v, before the energized frames are noticed.

Most Neutral-Bonded electric dryer calls are for new appliance hook-ups to old-work wiring. There are calls for shock hazards with Neutral-Bonded Electric Range/Ovens, after kitchen remodels bare wires are found cut off, or floating loose in J-boxes.

Are you advocating the use of GFCI protection for three wire range and dryers?

After thinking about this further, that 2-Pole GFCI may not satisfy casualty investigators, if it overlooks the cause of old-work problems.

Where electrical equipment may be considered empirically unreliable from age or neglect, the consumer's best interests may have been repair, to comply with current codes, 4-wire rough-in, or service upgrade with Meter Spot.

If other Code minimums, or industry Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) are ignored, in favor of a GFCI, then negligence or liability may be argued. Especially, if Utility / POCO / Owners are not notified (Duty of Care) of unreliable equipment, or notified to relocate electrical services subject to damage.

While GFCI outlets & breakers @ 6mA are appropriate for protection against shock hazards, GFCI is not permitted to replace mandates that electrical equipment is properly maintained, much less substitute for neglect, or hazardous defect (remodels).

For example: the "Replacement Code" for 2-conductor wiring, NFPA-70 406.4(D), allows GFCI to substitute for 120v equipment grounding, only where grounding is not required elsewhere in the code. And, since code specifically demands grounding for pools & other Motor loads inside dwellings (Ceiling & Bath Fans, Range-Hood Vents, Wall/Window HVAC, DW, Disposer, Laundry Appliances), GFCI by itself on Motor loads is not compliant with code minimum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.