Neutral Calculation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivorytusks

Occupation
Electrical
New to the forum and learning all I can about the Electrical Trade. (Quick Back story) I am in school late in life & learning the Electrical Trade. As part of one of the courses i am going through on the NEC, we have been camped out in Chp 2 for a bit. Spent a great deal of time in Article 220 learning to complete Dwelling unit load calculations. Now camped out in Article 250. Here is my question that has me confused, when do I use Dwelling load calculation to size Neutral and when do I use Table 250.102C1

thanks in advance

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
In all but extreme cases you use the article 220 calculation backed up by article 250

In general the _grounded conductor_ is connected to loads and carries load current, and you have to size this conductor for the current you expect it to carry, sometimes in the worst case.

If the result of the article 220 calculation gives an extremely small value for the neutral, then if the neutral is present it still has a minimum size set in article 250.

-Jon

Carultch

Note that it is common to use the word "neutral" interchangeably with "grounded conductor", and 9 times out of 10, these will be interchangeable terms. There is a subtle difference, but it doesn't concern this question.

250.102(C) gives you a lower limit on the size of the neutral, when it is supply-side of the main disconnect in a circuit that classifies as service conductors. Or in a circuit that would be governed by 240.21(C) for transformer secondary conductors of customer-owned transformers. If the calculation of the actual amps on the neutral conductor ends up being negligible, then 250.102(C) governs its size.

Essentially, whatever the size of the green or bare wire in the circuit would need to be, the neutral can be no smaller, whether you call that green or bare wire an equipment grounding conductor (EGC) or a supply-side bonding jumper (SSBJ). EGC's per 250.122 go with feeders and branch circuits that are load-side of OCPD, while SSBJ's are line-side of the highest ranking OCPD on the service (service disconnect) or separately-derived system.

If a much larger neutral current is predicted through your load calculations, then the neutral has to be sized to have an ampacity sufficient for the actual load that would be present on the neutral. Most people just match the neutral to the size of the ungrounded conductors, any time there would be significant current on the neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.